Rev Limiter?

Is there a rev limiter on my 6-cylinder 2000 Mustang?

When revving the engine, it seems to artificially stumble right around 4000 RPM, and won't rev any higher. Since redline is quite a bit higher (5000? I'm working from memory here) there seems to be some sort of a limiter at work.

Assuming there IS a limiter, is there any way to over-ride it?

And if there's not a limiter, what is causing my engine to stumble?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Yes... there's a rev limiter... it keeps idiots from trying to rev past 4000 in neutral. There is also a speed limiter that drops cylinders before you pass the speed rating of the stock tires. Yes you can over-ride it...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Ouch. That hurt! :-)

Isn't 4000 RPM kinda low? A rev-limiter being set 25% below redline seems mighty conservative, to me.

Reply to
Jay Honeck

In neutral? No, Jim hit the nail..errrr...the idiot...on the head. That redline is meant for when the engine is under load, and even then, only for short durations (on a street engine).

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Not when there is zero load on the engine.

Reply to
WindsorFox