slotted roters

I bought a set of crossed drilled and slotted rotors for my 95 Mustang because of previous warping problems on the front end. Only days after the installation, there was a very slight audible noise coming from the front brakes. The frequency was about 8 pulses per tire rotation. Now a month later I am getting a vibration on the front end when braking. The sound when braking sounds like a bumble bee... I was very careful to install the rotors on the proper side according to the box the rotors came in, but there was no markings on the rotors to varify left from right. I've done a search on the web to try to determine the proper direction of the slots. 3 answers; 1.proper direction of the slot is when part of the slot nearest to the outer edge of the rotor contacts the pad first. 2. The opposite of number 1 and 3. It dosn't matter. I am making the assumtion that my car shouldn't sound like a hive of bees when braking. Is it possible that the rotors have seasoned causing ridges on the rotors where the slots are? A quick turning would resolve this, but my biggest fear is that the vibration will come back because they are not installed on the proper side. Anyone come across this one?

Reply to
walms

Did you replace the brake pads at the same time?? If so, what compound did you use??

Bill S.

walms wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Yes, I replaced them with Ford Motocraft metallic pads.

Reply to
walms

Sounds to me like you have a mismatch between the rotors that your purchased, or the pads, or both. Who's rotors did you purchase, and are you sure they were correct for your car? Also, do you do a lot of stop and go driving, heavy braking from highway speeds???

Bill S.

walms wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I bought the parts from a Ford dealership. The manufacturer of the rotors are Atlas. The Guy at the dealership said that they have been recommending them to people with warpage problems and I am the only one who's had problems like I've described. As far as driving goes, I'd say I do brake more aggressively than the norm, but nothing that seems to affect my other 2 cars; 82 GT and 95 Contour.

Reply to
walms

I run slot and drilled rotors only when on the track. Great for heat dispation and water blow off, but my experience is that they warp faster than single machined (drilled or slotted - I run drilled on the street), and that slotted rotors eat pads. The "bip bip bip" that you hear is from the slots (also in my experience), and I'd just go to a set of drilled rotors (I like Brembo, but it's your choice) and some good Mintex pads. Best pad/rotor combo for me.

Andrew

walms wrote:

Reply to
Andrew Paule