SN65: Bob Julian's Retro-Cobra

He has homologated all the stuff and pix from Horsepowered, plus a LOT more into a website:

Backyard Mechanic

"Call us today at 630-762-0387 and discover what it takes to own one of the finest custom mustangs ever produced."

My guess is you start with a pile of twenty dollar bills roughly equal in volume to a blown dohc 4.6. Just browsing through those pix I can't imagine how many man hours they've got in that project. At $50-70/hr? Yikes.

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

180 Out,

Yes, it certainly wouldn't be a budget racer, that's for sure. And I wonder how business would be now that the current Mustang (with a much better chassis) with its retro body sells for only $20K-$25K.

Still I give them credit for a very interesting project. The only think I object to is the ugly fender flares.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Considering that you thought the Focus was cute (or something to that effect), I'll take that comment with a grain of salt..

Reply to
Joe

What I said was is that I have always liked the 3-door Focus. It's not an awesome looking BMW M-Coupe, but it's still a neat looking little car!

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1123337785.373385.50060 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

project.

As has been said before, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I think the Escort is a lot better looking than the Focus. I also think the fender flares on Bob Julian's SN65 look pretty damn good. But everybody's got their opinions...

Reply to
Joe

My thing is I don't like alterations to the factory sheet metal. While Bob Julian's work looks first-rate, to me fendar flares always invoke a

70's custom look. The worst being when the rear quarter wheelwell lips would rot out and guys would "fix" it with fendar flares, pop rivets, and Bondo.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Well, given that the track is a couple inches wider than the stock '65, what would you have done?

Seriously, I think he did a very good job of making them look like part of the car as opposed to custom add-ons.

LOL! True. Too funny.

Reply to
Joe

The first thing I would have done is learn to spell "fender".

Run steelies and dog dish hubcaps...? ;-)

Agree, they're probably as good as it could be done. Still hard to look, at least for me, without cringing.

You know what I'm talking about... back when the "classics" were hot rods/beaters. Some of the things our generation did to those cars now would be grounds for murder. (Remember wadding up stacks of old baseball cards, now considered collecter cards, with rubber bands?) How times/attitudes have changed.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

LOL! So now we're back to the grammar police... ;)

Love it. But two things: a) On an '03 Cobra chassis? b) The width still would've been about the same.

I'd hate to see what happens to you when you look into the interior...

Indeed. Speaking of said baseball cards, remember clipping them to the wheels on your bicycle with clothespins for the "motor" sound?

Reply to
Joe