SN65 project

True, but you could chip the paint driving it across town too! Have you thought about using the 3M or other brands of paint protection film? The other alternative would be to rent an autohauler...

As far as the color I'd paint it whatever color YOU want. My auto body guy thought I was NUTS to paint my '64.5 Vintage Burgandy, but it's my car and I think it came out looking great!

bill

Reply to
bill

Hi Bill,

I know that you can chip the paint driving the car around the block, but the odds are pretty high that I will encounter some type of debris when going on an extended highway jaunt. I have considered the protective film, but the car needs to cure for 3 months before applying any of these films. Also, their is a slight chance of damaging the paint during the removal of the film.

Catch you later.

Bob

Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center St Charles, IL

630-762-0387
Reply to
rj

Hi All,

Anyone out there know where I can find the driver and passenger side SS channels that retain the window gaskets. These do not appear to be available through any aftermarket supplier.

HELP!!!

Bob

Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center St Charles, IL

630-762-0387
Reply to
rj

Have you tried any of the 'mustang only' salvage yards out west? I can't think of any off the top of my head, but someone here should know a decent one. I would guess they would have these parts in good condition.

Reply to
Brent P

Hi All,

I thought I would try posting a project update here and see if you would like me to continue doing so.....

I spent yesterday struggling with the hood hinge issue. The new hinges we ordered would have solved our problems if they fit, but they were so large that I would have had to cut down into the lower cowl (into the passenger compartment) to get them to fit. Well, that was not going to happen, so I drew up some ideas on how we could modify the 03 cobra hinges and ran them past Wayne. After resolving a few issues with the design, I asked Wayne if I could do all the fab work. He said "There are plenty of other things I need to do, so go for it".

Here are the photos. I had to section the hinge, add 1 1/2" of 10 gage and shape the section into a gooseneck to clear the cowl when the hood opens. I think they came out great.

Today, I can fab the brackets for mounting the hood and re-align the front end so that we can complete fabrication on the chassis this weekend.

WoHoo!!!

Catch you all later.

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

rj

Hi All,

We came close, but did not completely finish the front aprons this past weekend. We were having trouble with the front end dimensions and gaps. We finally got them as close as physically possible (nice consistent gaps, dim's within 1/4"). But to achieve that we had to assemble and disassemble the front end about 7 times. Each time we would resolve one issue and have another rear its ugly head.

We still have to position and weld the cowl in place, but that is something that we can accomplish in an afternoon.

Also, we contacted the media blaster and he cannot fit us into the schedule until early next week. That being the case, we will continue with finer and finer detail work. For example, we are working on the brackets for mounting the trunk latch. You will notice that we have reversed the typical trunk config and mounted the latch on the car and the striker will mount on the lid.

We will continue to work on brackets, and fitting up different pieces until the blaster is ready for us.

Time to get back to work.

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

rj

Hi All,

Lately, there has been a lot of debate over graphics or no graphics for the final car. I am undecided at this point. Maybe we should just use the badges from the SVT Cobra as we originally planned. Maybe we should use the reverse "C" graphics with the SN65 designation. Maybe we should cave and use the GT stripe with the SN65 designation.

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!!!

To help resolve this issue, we have decided to hold a graphic design contest. No rules. No regulations. no requirements whatsoever. We don't care if you work up a 3D virtual reality, rotating computer illustration, or scrawl your picture on a napkin at the local dive with a few of your closest friends. Maybe you have no artistic ability at all and just convey your ideas in words alone. We have enough vision to be able to picture what it is you describe.

What is in it for you? Well.... Not much I am afraid. I wish I could offer the winner a scholarship, or free vacation, etc... but, like the rest of you, this wacky hobby has sucked every last loose piece of change out of my pants. With that said. The winner will receive a personalized plaque featuring a signed photo of the finished car, and an unused part off one of the donor cars. Also, you will be given a ride in the finished car, whenever we meet up at an event. Who knows, if you convince us you are a responsible individual, we may even let you drive. Also, the car will be painted with your design and we will give you credit for the design on the display we build for the car.

Just e-mail your entry to snipped-for-privacy@hydroflotech.com

I will respond to every entry so that you will know we received it. Also, all designs must be received no later than March 31st, 2005.

Good luck

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

rj

Looks like the way it's done on mavericks. If you run into problems maverick parts might help.

Reply to
Brent P

Hi All,

Today, Wayne fabed up the side gas filler door. He had to trial fit the gas tank and the filler neck to get an accurate location. He marked the location of the plastic inner housing on the quarter. He removed the filler neck and the gas tank. He located the center point of the gas door, and drilled the center hole from the inside.

When he walked around to the outside of the car, he noticed that the hole he drilled was within 1/8" of the "X" I drew on the car marking the door location. I told him to trust me next time and he wouldn't have to go through so much work. :-)

Anyway, this is going to be so cool. Wayne ground smooth and flanged the rough cut opening so that the 03 door mounting ring (the part we cut off the Cobra) sits flush with the 65 quarter panel.

Catch you later.

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

rj

Hi All,

Damn!!!!

I hate it when "real work" interferes with this project.

All we had to do this weekend was finish welding in the cowl and the trim pieces around the passenger and driver side windows. That's all. Maybe about 10 man-hours....

Well... The two bodymen (and my brother) who were supposed to help this weekend couldn't because they had to work on customer cars. I hate it when actual paying customers get top priority. Also, I did not get much accomplished because I had to help another paying customer with his 66 coup restoration.

I spent all day yesterday fitting and welding the cowl. That along with reviewing the corporate tax returns of 2 companies took up my entire day.

I did not finish all I needed to before media blasting. The blaster called yesterday to schedule the pick up (they were scheduled to blast the car today) and I had to reschedule because I was not ready. !@$_(*&!!!! Now they will not be able to get to it before the end of the week if I am lucky. Most likely they will be by next Monday to pick it up for blasting on Tuesday.

I am so depressed. :-(

Anyway... Here is a photo of the finished cowl area. Note the open areas around the hood hinge brackets. These areas will be covered by a small plate.

Now I have to get to work. HydroFlo is having project review meetings today and I need to attend. Another day shot to hell due to real work interfering with this project. When will the madness end?

Catch you all later.

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

rj

Hi All,

Well, I have a few days to kill before the media blaster can fit me into his schedule. They are currently blasting and coating Garbage trucks, cement mixing trucks and construction trucks as well as misc. heavy metal fabrications.

The coating systems they use are a bit different than those used on a typical production vehicle. They use a number of different self priming high build epoxy. All surfaces are blasted to an SSPC-SP10 near white metal blast and then coated with 12 to 16 mills of self priming epoxy. The coating is VERY durable and has high chemical resistance. If the surface is prepped properly and the coating applied properly, the system is suitable for indefinite submersion in wastewater with a pH of 2.5 to 13 (normal is 7).

Anyway...

Until I get the car back from media blasting we are going to be working on brackets, misc. detail work, etc.... That is when the real fun begins. :-)

Catch you all later.

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

rj

Hi All,

Entries for the graphics contest are rolling in. You only have 14 days left. A lot of good ideas are coming in.

I am looking forward to seeing yours.

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

rj

Hi All,

Just talked to the media blaster and we can pick the car up Monday.

Woo Hoo!!!

We will blow the media out, and mount the beast on the rotisserie. We should have the car in primer in time for the Saturday open house / get-2-gether. If we are lucky, we may have the chassis and the interior painted ready for assembly to begin.

I am excited about the open house / get-2-gether. We are looking forward to finally meeting a lot of the people we have made friends with over the past 6 months.

Hope to see you there.

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

rj

What time is the g-2-g? I think I remember reading one of your posts in one of the forums that it was 8am, sat apr 2. Now I can only find posts saying apr 2nd but not the time of day.

Reply to
Brent P

Of course 30 seconds after posting the question, I find the post....

#311 in case anyone else is wondering.. (my memory was correct)

Reply to
Brent P

Hi All,

Just got back fron the media blaster. I could go on and on, but as they say, a picture's worth a thousand words....

[img]
?attachmentid=2136[/img] Catch you all later.

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

rj

Hi All,

The graphic design contest ends tomorrow, so if you have any ideas, get them to me ASAP.

Thanks

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

PS: See you at the open house this Saturday. Open at 8... Close??? Food and drink will be supplied. We will have some other cars on display. There may even be a "concourse gold" 69 GT350.

Reply to
rj

Hi All,

I am currently reviewing all the entries in the design contest. I have to say that there are some really good ideas. I wish I could use them all. In fact, they are all so good that I am considering building a car for each of them. :-)

I am working up a few sketches of some of the "verbal" entries. It will take me about a week to review all the entries and come to a decision.

Catch you all later.

SN65 Come see this WIP at Julian's Collision Center

rj

Hi All,

I would like to thank all those who made it to our little get together this weekend. I enjoyed meeting each and every one of you. It is nice to put a face to those I have been corresponding with over the past 6 months or so. I really enjoyed discussing the project with you.

On another note, I was also impressed with the really fine Stangs you drive. I would be proud to own any one of them.

I look forward to the "big" unveiling when the car is finally done. We will have a great time taking the car out for quick spins around the block. I will be interested in everyone's impression during the "test" drives.