The FastForward Fastback sold...$150K

The price jumped $20k in the last two minutes.

Youch.

Reply to
Dinsdale

Lotsa $$'s!! anyone else find it odd that the winner joined ebay the day b4 the auction started & has only place 1 bid. Just strikes me as strange Seller & Buyer both with 0 feedback involved in a $150k+ transaction. Oh well, nice car but not THAT nice.

Reply to
KellyJ

That is interesting about the buyer joining just before the auction.

There was a bidder pre-qualification deal. So it's probably not some joke bidder.

My guess is that they knew the car was coming up for auction and really wanted it.

Who knows...maybe it was someone involved with the building of it originally... either way, some portion of the net goes to charity and an educational foundation.

Reply to
Dinsdale

Call me cynical, but it was probably an account opened by the seller, just in case the price didn't go high enough. The fact that the account was opened right before the auction started makes it highly suspect. At the very end, he could bid on his own auction and therefore get off the hook to sell it. People do it at "real" auctions all the time; a seller will bid on his own lot as a kind of back-door reserve.

Reply to
John

While I don't discount the notion of the seller (or an agent of the seller) buying the car back, in this case it has a different spin on it because a portion of the selling price went to the charity and an educational fund. So it's not like they just had to pay the eBay posting and selling fees, they had to pay the charity part as well....which might still be a bargain for the car they got.

Now, where the possibly intentionally inflated selling price might come into play is in a future sale...they can say the car last sold for $150K...which could get those Jay Leno and Reggie Jackson types to shell out even more $$$$

Me, I'd rather buy a house...or a boat...maybe a houseboat.