specs of Mach-1 I want to buy

Here are the specs of the '73 Mustang Mach-1 I want to buy:

  1. The Vin number is 3F05F223232
  2. The door tag number is the same as the Vin number.
  3. It has a 302 engine.
  4. It's has two owners: the first owner used it but due to medical reasons, he didn't use it for the last ten years before he sold it.
  5. When the current owner bought it, he repainted it (to gray with the black line down the middle) and fixed some rust in the front and back of the car (reason: the garage wasn't big enough so the front or back always stuck out). The fixes to the front and rear were done with Bondo. He mentioned that he also fixed all the other problems with the rust (he mentioned that he soldered some parts). He said that the correct thing would've been to buy the part new instead of using Bondo.
  6. He tells me it needs new shock absorbers.
  7. He also says the engine has never been touched.
  8. He had to purchase a new starter when it was being restored. He also changed the spark plugs.
  9. He changed the oil this past Sunday and he told me previous oil was completely black (he told me it hadn't been changed in a while).
  10. The AC works but it needs gas.
  11. At low speed the car turned off once when going from one town to the other. He said that it was either some problem with a cable or something that in Spanish he calls 'platino'. I don't know what it was but he said that his dad calibrates it by eye (without using any type of machine). And he says that this is most probably what caused this). But he said that it was easy and cheap to fix.
  12. His father and his son both told me (and they sounded honest about it) that the car is still in very good condition. The son (which drives it most of the time and is the daily driver) said that it could go around the island. The father told me that most of the people that have called interested are looking for a 'showroom' car.
  13. They also have a classic Corvette that they're working on and a boat that they're also working on. So it seems that they like rebuilding and restoring stuff.

So that's basically all I know about it. I'm about 80% sure I want to buy it (it'll be 100% when the mechanic gives me the hands-up), but what do you guys think?

Finally, I called the MCA president in PR and when I told him where he had driven it, he was amazed. He told me that these cars are easy to fix, parts are found everywhere, and they're not as expensive as more modern cars (not much electronics). And then he said, "Buddy, considering that it drives from Ponce to Arecibo without any problems, I think you should buy it. You don't see many of those around!!" Ponce and Arecibo are two PR towns that are about 55-60 miles apart.

Reply to
Joe