Spending a saturday. :-)

How did you spend yours?

I had loads of fun. Went over to a buddy who knows how to do brakes to have him show me how to work on them. It really is not that hard. The ones who have been telling me that are right.

Of course we ended up spending most of the saturday on this due to some unexpected issue.

I got NAPA premium pads as the PFC's recommended in here, although doing a damn good job of braking, seem to have a tendency to eat up the stock rotors. So perhaps next time I'll spring for some slotted/drilled ones as well as braided lines and put PFC's on.

The rear pads came off easy and appeared to be the factory ones. About

2mm was all that was left after 110K miles. I got the caliper toolkit sold at harborfreight which made the job of screwing back the cylinder a lot easier. (Gotta get me another one as I gave this one to my buddy and they are on sale right now 50% off)

The front ones were a b*tch, seems they got replaced at one time and were tighened using air/power tools. No way to get either the torx or the E-10 off. We ended up taking the entire caliper off. No biggie as the rotors needed to be turned anyway. Took those to shop close by and got them back about 2 hours later. Done 100%.

Since we had her on jackstands, the oil got changed as well. I got 6 qt's of Valvoline Synpower through a Free after mail in rebate so that went in to see how it would stack up to Mobil-1. Also the fuel filter got changed. Watch it when you buy a Purolater one. Mine did not come with the little clips and one of the old ones broke. So a trip to Autozone was in order there. :-)

Oh yeah, we open the NAPA box with the front pads only to find out they had given me AE-7476 pads (not Mustang) instead of AE-7478. So another trip to the store was in order (Lesson learned: verify what's on the bax against the receipt before leaving the store!) Turns out NAPA's stckboy must have been a PepBoys reject as he'd stocked the spot for the AE-7478's with 7476's. So no pads. Causing us to go to the other end of town to the next NAPA who did have a set. In the pouring rain of course... :-)

Finally, we bled the brakelines fully. Good thing at that. I doubt the fluid ever got changed. Nasty stuff. There even was a little air in the lines. Used Valvoline Synth brakfluid to see hwo that holds up in oru Florida climate.

To end our day, we'd left the car door open to long it seemed. Not enough juice in the battery to start her. Duh! Luckily there's two more Mustangs on the premises so a jump was easy. Took a test drive to bed the pads in. What a difference, hit them hard (not hard enough to lock them, just hard enough) and she now tries to bury her nose in the asphalt!

All in all, even with our little difficulties, a fun day spent. I can wholeheartedly recommend this kind of saturday fun. ;-)

I wonder how hard it is to install GT brakes up front. As I believe those are 12" versus the 11" ones on my V6. Is it just different disks and calipers or does the mounting bracket have to be changed as well?

Reply to
Paul

A 95 and never had the brake fluid replaced. Yup, you will notice a huge difference in pedal firmness. Brake-fluid is probably the most neglected service item on a car.

Rein

We got a bunch of Cub Scouts together and turned my flat bed trailer into a float for the upcoming Poway Days Parade.

Dads w/ power tools, kids with paper mache and paint. I had loads of fun too.

Then I went to a pool party.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

Uhh, Saturday. I worked from 2am-10am. Then I worked from 6pm-630 Sunday morning.

Great saturday. I made a nice little chunk of change.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

I spent my Saturday working on my rear brakes... for a/b 2 hours (hair less maybe). Then today I took off the passenger side tire/wheel.. sanded the rotor a bit to get the brake dust off... now 0 brake noise. w00t. Today I've got a bit of work to do though... I am really liking my freelance job :P ($35/hr--web development)

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires

Reply to
<memset

I put the second coat of paint on the kids' toy room.

Reply to
John

I spent my saturday hugging and kissing my grandson. I had been out there for a week and was getting all the loves I could before I had to leave the next morning.

Kate

> [...]

| > All in all, even with our little difficulties, a fun day spent. I can | > wholeheartedly recommend this kind of saturday fun. ;-) | >

| > I wonder how hard it is to install GT brakes up front. As I believe | > those are 12" versus the 11" ones on my V6. Is it just different disks | > and calipers or does the mounting bracket have to be changed as well? | > -- | > _ 1995 Mustang V6 Coupe (Bright Blue) | > |_| Member Modern Mustangs of North America (MMNA) | > |__| snipped-for-privacy@tampabay.rr.com

| |

Reply to
SVTKate