Starter wearing out quickly....

Just picked up a 67 Coupe a few weeks ago....The engine is a 289 but not a

67 according to the Starter I got today from Autozone.....I asked for a 67 Mustang starter and the person behind the counter came back with a "Duralast" starter...No worries except it had three Bolt on holes. The old one I had in my hand only had two bolt on holes, So off he went and came back with a mirror Image of the one I had in my hand...He told me it was to a 70 Mustang, 289, Manual Tranny...Blah, Blah, Blah....

My question now, Is there a Suitable Substitute Starter that will fit my Engine with a longer throw, Allowing more of the starter drive to engage the Flywheel??? While I had the old one down I noticed the front edges of the teeth on the flywheel were beginning to wear more than the rest of the tooth area.......Otherwise I'll have to carry a spare starter drive in the trunk until there are no more teeth for it to engage...which means changing the Flywheel...and that's something I hope to face later down the line............. Thanx for all your help so far, Trooper

Reply to
Trooper McVey

They made 289s in 1970???????????? I think your parts counter person is lost.................or am I?????

Reply to
Jimz466

Last 289's were in '68. Are you "sure" you have a 289? Maybe a 302 instead?

Bob

Reply to
pony67

According to this website, you are correct.

fclaugus

Good to see my memory isn't completely failing. I seemed to remember Ford kind of starting their switch over to 302s in the 68 time frame and then dropping the 289s completely and really pushing 302s and 351s in 69.

Reply to
Jimz466