Replacing Micra stereo

Hi, I was looking to replace the Tuner/Cassette deck that is in my 1999 Micra. Can I just buy an 'off the shelf' CD Tuner and hook it up to the existing wiring, or are there non-standard connectors ?

Regards,

Mike W.

Reply to
Mike Waters

Depending on the manufacturer of the new stereo you may need a harness adapter, Halfords stock most combinations (you could just use "Scotchlok" splice connectors or similar but they're not always reliable). You may also need an antenna plug adapter, again depending on the manufacturer of the new headunit

A few things to be aware of - going by my experience of my Dad's 1996 Micra with Blaupunkt original:

The permanent and switched 12V supplies are swapped when using a Sony headunit and the adapter I got from my local motor factor

There is no ground in the harness, it is grounded through the antenna sheild and the chassis

It does not fit into a cage, rather there are two brackets which screw into each side of the headunit. This may be a problem as not all headunits have the same layout of screw holes, plus, the Blaupunkt had screw holes for metric screws (M3 or M4, I don't remember which) and the Sony had screw holes for self tappers. The screws must have a countersunk head or they sit too far proud of the brackets to fit back into the centre console.

That's all I can remember for now.

Reply to
bweebar

See the "Mondeo Radio" thread started 19/4/4

DP

err...the site doesnt exist !

Regards,

Mike W.