The 500 sedan

Was this to maintain the cop car market for Ford since the LTD/Grand Marquis became too expensive?

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

No, this was to maintain market share although it could be used as a police car in some areas. This appears to be a good seller for Ford, but time will tell if it stays around. (I think it will) This car has an incredible amount of room and fills the niche between the Taurus and the Crown Vic. Police car drivers like the feeling of a heavy rear wheel drive car equipped with push bars so they can nudge somebody off the road if needed...... ;-)

Reply to
Kruse

"Kruse" wrote

My understanding is that the Taurus will be no more and that the 500 is taking its place. It will also replace the Taurus in NASCAR AFAIK.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Ford just hates spending money to new cars...they'd rather buy failing car companies.. The '78 Fox platform was used thru the '04 'Stang.........how long since the full-size cars have been redesigned?

1979? Taurus came out when - '86 and has only been tweaked since.

They needed a new car.......and I understand that the structure is primarily Volvo, as is the CVT and 4 wheel drive option. But....I personally like it.....nice and roomy interior, and you could put a casket in the trunk.....all in a mid-size car. All the magazines complain that it's underpowered and slow - wow, we've come a long way -

0 to 60 in 8 seconds would have been hi-per a couple years ago, but now it's a slug (in others' opnions). Then there are those who say the styling is dull .....but if it said J.A.Pan & Co on it all the pundits would be orgasmic.

I understand the Sable is already out of production with the Taurus to follow in the Fall. The 500 is selling well, but unfortunately, does not equal the drop in Taurus sales. FoMoCo is in deep doo-doo.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click