The perfect road!

Hey, as long as everyone's doing 60+...and there's a great Dairy Queen up the road a bit to stop and talk shop!

JohnW

Uh huh! And just who are you Kate? Officer "Friendly"? I drive that road almost every weekend, and there's a chance I might just go 1 or 2 MPH over the speed limit on one of those straight stretches, lol! You think I'm gonna post it's location on the World Wide Web?!!!

Actually, in my original post I stated that it was almost perfect. They did some mostly unneeded patch repairs in a few spots that make it unperfect. I suppose the repairs were needed to stop future degradation, but the patches are worse than the spots were originally. That's Missouri for ya.

I was hoping this post would bring out some suggestions from the rest of you, and it did do that. I've written them all down for my new-car road trip which is still only in the pre-planning stage. Going to have to take my Pony on some kind of trip soon though.

HWY 60 in southern Missouri has an interesting stretch west of Fremont.

4 lanes, wide sweeping banked hilly curves winding thru the "mountains".

Another fun road in Missouri is HWY 142, going from Doniphan to Thayer. Thayer is just north of Mammoth Spring, Arkansas, and we went there tubing a few years back. Was driving the van on that trip, but if memory serves me correctly it would be fun to drive in the Mustang too.

I remember the entrance road for Devil's Lake State Park South Shore, near Baraboo, WI. If you like "S" curves this would be heaven. About 1 or 2 miles long, and it's nothing but tight banked "S" curves the whole stretch.

Reply to
Sunset Sam

Also Hwy 395 going up the back side of Sequoia and Yosemite parks through Ridgecrest, etc, then pick it up again north of Reno.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike
*GREAT BIG SMILE*

Oh Hell Yea! Sounds like fun to me!

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

Oh HELL NO Sam! LAMO! I was worried about that very thing when locations started flying. Nope, I am the gal in front of the christmas lights digging for license and registration, not the one driving the car that they are mounted on.

Kate

[...]

I was just kiddin' of course, but the way you worded the question almost sounded like an interrogation, lol! I've been in front of those Christmas lights a few times myself. One time back when I was young and stupid I was cruising along I44 in a Catalina with a big engine. Cop came over the crest of a big hill and got me with oncoming radar doin' 86MPH. Speed limit was 55 at the time. When we were standing in front of those "christmas lights" he asked me where the fire was. I told him it was just the big hills and I didn't notice how fast I was going. He looked at me, kinda smirked, and said, "I got you at 86MPH going up that hill near the top. I can just imagine how fast you were going on your way down the last hill!" Officer St. Nick then proceeded to write me my Christmas "gift certificate" and gave me directions to the county seat!

Reply to
Sunset Sam

Dang Sam. I think I have decided that cops set us up when they ask "Do you know how fast you were going?"

I have pretty much decided that the next time one asks me that I am going to grin real big and say "Yep! Don't you?"

Reply to
SVTKate

That question is part of the training, if you answer yes, it can and will be used against you if you contest the ticket I've used the response "no but i'm sure you do" with a big smile of course.

Dave

Reply to
Deputy Dog

Quote from ticketassassin.com

(a great site, by the way, which worked for me once here in CA)

DO YOU KNOW HOW FAST YOU WERE GOING? (OR ONE OF ITS INDIRECT VARIANTS: WHAT'S THE HURRY? OR DO YOU KNOW THE SPEED LIMIT HERE?)

Analysis: Again, this type of question is trying to make you admit to breaking the Prima Facie (VC 23352) or Maximum (VC 22349) Speed Law by stating a specific number (which the officer will record as evidence) or otherwise admitting to speeding.

BAD ANSWERS: "75." "85." "95." "About your I.Q." "Who knows, the signs blur out when I pass 100."

BETTER ANSWER: Yes. I was going a SAFE AND REASONABLE speed for conditions in accordance with the BASIC SPEED LAW (VC 22350).

Reply to
Scudder

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Thats my neck of the woods John:) If you want a nice undeveloped road to have some fun on (great curves, nice hills, about a 2 mile run), theres one next to me in howard county. No idea what its called, but if you want directions, i can give em to ya. JAnoPHspamAR81@g(nospam)mail.com

Reply to
japhar81

No, but if you're lucky enough to catch it on a day when Toby is on patrol (Hes the big guy who drives the '03 mach 1 for his patrol cruiser;P) and ask him nicely, he'll overlook some stuff, long as its safe.

Reply to
japhar81

Spike wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So what if I take the fifth?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

Reply to
Wound Up

What happened to the presumption of innocence?

it's the same as an

I guess it's an impractical, burdensome detail on cops' EGOS.

Reply to
Wound Up

I want to take a little poll.

On road trips, what was your best point-to-point time and/or avg. speed (stops included)?

My best tank of gas was from Santa Fe to Amarillo. I made it in 2 hours, 50 minutes.

My best trip was from Santa Fe to Columbia, Mo. It was 1044 miles in

14.25 hours, or, a mean of 73.26 mph.

My second best was from Columbia, Mo. to Norwalk, Conn. It was 1185 miles in 17 hours, or a mean of 69.7 mph. Damned Pennsylvania, 55 at the time.

Every highway patrol frequency to and from was in my scanner. I used a good detector. I never used cruise, drove with two hands, paid attention to hiding spots, to what I was doing, and roasted the brake pads a few times.

Not one ticket, and about 10 avoided. One was simply by looking bored after slowing down suddenly, and by having the cop look, then fly past me after the guy I was next to. Sorry, Charlie.

No harm, no foul. Who's got some stories??

I've done long trips like this probably 25 times, over 85 most of the time, and have only gotten one ticket on them, ever. Either I'm invisible, or the average statie isn't so keen after all.

L> By the way... if the "culprit" says they do, it's the same as an

Reply to
Wound Up

I did a run down 97 yesterday from Rt 26 (Westminster/Eldersburg) almost down to Wheaton. It's a nice twisty two lane with plenty of passing zones. I partied along the way with an Acura RL and an Audi something (S4 badge). Carroll, Howard and Montgomery counties.

We moved up here in August, but I just started the REAL road exploring the day I got the GT. Picked it up a week ago Saturday morning, then took it up to PA for my niece's basketball game. Nearly everything in the Westminster area is two lane.

Reply to
JohnW

man that brings back memories, used to live on 97 and run my '67 mustang on it all the time, till i totaled it:-/

if you ever put together a ride in the area, give me a shout.

Reply to
japhar81

I've always wondered how this would work:

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"Sure I do - a reasonable and prudent speed for the current conditions."

"Care to be more specific?"

"I'm sorry, no can do; I prefer to watch the road rather than my speedometer."

Probably not well (can you say "Contempt of Cop" ticket?), but it'd be interesting to try - once. :)

Reply to
Garth Almgren