The SVO Mustang Returns?

Ok, maybe not in name, but in spirit? Seems there's a "high- performance package for the standard 305HP V6 Mustang" coming.

I say it's the perfect addition to the Mustang line-up. This time if they keep the price (and HP) UNDER the standard [Mustang] GT and Ford will have a hit.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

I hope the Performance Package is not . non-functional hood scoop . special striping . high-platform rear spoiler . wheels

dwight

Reply to
dwight

From what I read this will have all the beefed up GT's parts/ Example rear/ higher gear ratios, suspension, brakes, etc... Basically swap the 5.0 for a

3.7 and the rest stays the same. It is expected to come out late summer early fall. I wonder what the weight differences would be from the cast iron 4.0L to the all aluminum 3.7L? I don't see the 5.0L weighing in much less then the 4.6L. The real question in my mind is if a person like myself is interested in purchasing a 2011 Mustang GT or even a California Special (yes they are back), would it be wiser to look into a 2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones or a 2007-09 Shelby GT500 if all prices are relative (very likely all will be around $35k imo). I wish they would trim the weight and prices down, all this high tech in the Mustang is awesome but we are sacrificing another main ingredient on the success of the Mustang and that is "Bang for the Buck." Happy New Year!

Nick :)

Reply to
NicholaD

One variable to take into account: what kind of "bang" do you want?

Each of the four changes on the Mustang theme you mention is at the top of someone's Bang List.

For brute, sullen straight-line "go", the GT500 is right up there; however, it's relatively graceless, and a Ford car made by Ford with "Shelby" grafted on as a sales gimmick.

The California Special is a nice GT with some commonly requested and principally dress-up modifications, a "package" car with little foreseeable collectibility value. Distinction Bang, but just to those who know.

A new Mustang GT will be satisfactory to almost anyone's Bang /needs/, but will in all likelihood serve merely as a basis for personalization and other such modifications as to eliminate it from the bang-for-buck sweepstakes; stuff /costs/!

Each Saleen PJ Edition is one of just/only/no-more-than 500 such animals; collectability, fine all-around performance, distinctive, complete in one vehicle - Bang Bang Bang! Trouble is, you'll need two: one to drive (that's what they are /for/, and when driven they wear) and one to hoard against future demand.

If I had your $35k in hand, I'd go right out and buy a ... Hm. Maybe a ... No, a ...

Too bad I don't have to make that choice. I already have two GT/CSs. My tough choice is: "Which one to drive to Palomar Mountain this week?"

Cheers!

Reply to
Frank ess

It's marketing crap. But I wouldn't say the car is graceless. It got the brakes and the suspension that the GT didn't get. But it seems that ford is finally getting it as a 2011 track-pack (provided they keep the option) with the brembo brake package is finally going to allow the GT to be optioned out close to what those who were interested in something more than drag racing would like.

Reply to
Brent