This Oughta Push Brently Over The Edge

Now THAT's funny.

I forget who said it or where I read it, but someone pointed out that drivers will do the stupidest, craziest, most dangerous things just so they won't be stuck behind a truck. (Watch for it and you'll see it.) This little trick makes perfect sense.

Of course, there's an obvious and easy way to avoid being snared...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Already covered it over in r.a.d. Try to keep up... I know you took the short bus and all....

But you're welcome to come to chicago and drive the posted speed limit in front of truckers. Be sure to wear your depends, because the trucker is a bigger bully than you. He'll sit 3 feet off your bumper, even pass you on the shoulder.

Reply to
Brent P

And you know the local constabulary would target them just as they know. IL plates, down south....

Now think about driving 55mph in front of this guy when the flow is

75mph.

Oh... now the 85th percentile method is valid..... So you've just been full of shit entirely.

If they were speeding they would be. Slow drivers are pulled over durring drinking hours, not going to the early bird special at the family eatery.

You're wasting your time with it now. So basically what gets your panties in a bunch is that I don't share your apathy.

Reply to
Brent P

Huh?

I have discovered over the past few years that driving a car that says "Police Interceptor" on the back not only keeps the wackos at bay, but Johnny Law doesn't "see" you very well, either. Maybe it's the right car for you.

You mistake me for someone who bothered to read all that crap.

You still know nothing. Snowbirds jam cheap places like the American Legion, get toasted and are home in bed by 9pm.

I gotta laugh. You read these posts and "imagine" that my panties are in a bunch, and that I am "lashing out". I think you give yourself too much credit. I post here in between a ton of other stuff I'm doing on the computer. I don't care about your problems; I'm just amused by dysfunctional logic. Have been for years. Life's too short to get wound up.

Reply to
CobraJet

Not only is it well known that out of state plates make one a target for being singled out, throw the northern in a southern state + stereotype southern cop and speed trap town.....

I don't like land barges. But that is simply irrelevant. But I do notice you're concerned about cops seeing you, maybe you should just obey the law? Oh wait, that would mean you'd have to practice what you preach.

So it's even worse... you felt free to spew insults and you never even knew what I had written. That's just plain stupid.

You just agreed with me.

I post inbetween things as well.

1) My logic is just fine provided one actually understands the background material. 2) Since you admittedly don't read my posts in full, it's not my logic that is dysfunctional but rather your reading and comprehension.

My problems? They are everyone's problems. You just choose to give into apathy and ignore them. Don't worry, the results of your apathy will probably come to bite you all in the ass soon enough.

Reply to
Brent P

SNIP

All the logic and theory in the world won't make reality and human nature any different.

Your logic may be just fine in an altered state of reality. However, most people drive in this reality because they realize this is the one they have to function in. There are far more important things to them... like paying the mortgage, feeding families, having their loved ones come home in one piece....

Judging by the responses, less people agree with you than you seem to think. So, perhaps it isn't "everyone's problems". Perhaps you are spitting into the wind instead of with the wind. What you consider apathy could just be the majority's reality. Doesn't make them sheep. Just means they accept what is reasonable intrusion. Then again, maybe it is apathy because the majority of people think it is just too insignificant to worry about, and leave such worries to the Don Quixotes who need their windmills.

Reply to
Spike

Human nature is that the vast majority of people drive a safe and reasonable speed regardless of what is on the sign. That has been shown again and again, study after study. You were pointed to them, but like a horse led to water you can't be forced to drink.

It's not my fault you choose to be ignorant.

Apathy. But at least you admit the system is just lived with now, implying that it isn't right. That's progress.

Now it's a popularity contest? I'll just cross post this over to rec.autos.driving then.

How is being fined for normal, reasonable behavior a reasonable intrusion? Or do you just count on the cop not picking you, because you are x,y,z or have a badge or whatever?

I think hundreds if not thousands of dollars would be signficant to a great number of people in this nation. Just think, if they weren't pulled from the pack by armed employee of the government and forced to fork over a couple hundred bucks maybe it would be easier to make the mortgage payment that month. Of course they could always drive a couple standard deviations slower than the mean and take the increased risk of collision involvement.... but if they lose that gamble it could be a lot more than a couple hundred bucks.

Reply to
Brent P

who said anything about to the letter? Not me. that whole thing about being in control of being revenued for speed indicates the reader should obey if he doesn't like the game. I quoted a considerable portion of your text that set the context of living with the system, playing the game, and obeying where not wanting to play the game.

You replied to me CJ. I made only one personal experience comment regarding your claim on addresses being SOP, simply because it was 180 degrees different. You then went off the deep end....

Talk about a complete lack of reading comprehension. You would have done better to have not replied.

Nice projection.

What does my personal life have to do with anything regarding the topic at hand or anything else in this NG? Why are you so obsessed with me?

And again you want to make this about me.

holy projection batman! I did no such thing.

Irrelevant.

Talk about separation problems.

So you're vile is directed at me because I don't share your apathy. When they take your car without due process, don't say you weren't warned. Oh, that's right, it's only going to happen to those other people, not you.

Better move your money to euros now then...

YOU aim to make me the topic.

So you do have a line.

Reply to
Brent P

Contrary to Brent's postulation about revenues, the institution of fines has been set as a deterance to violating laws. "Speed Traps", although there are many nation wide, are actually few and far between. But, there is just no getting through to Brent. Not sure whether CJ is right about Brent or not. Perhaps it's just bi-polar mood disorder (depends on whether he hears voices compelling him or not). He does seem to have OCD (obsessive-compulsive disprder) which is not unusual. Those with depressive conditions tend to have additional conditions which go hand in hand.

Good luck to you Brent. I might suggest you go to your other NG where the other patients are more apt to catch your fever and spread it.

Reply to
Spike

Oh jeebbus... do you live in a cave? There has been article after article after article of how traffic tickets are used as a revenue stream. One quota system after another exposed. Explore the other articles on the website above for a primer. Speed trap areas are rather common, it's speed trap towns that are much less so.

Here:

Police Chief Suspended Over Ticket Quota In the year ending April 30, 2005, the city issued 1136 tickets worth $124,933. In the year ending April 30, 2007, that figure jumped to 2427 tickets worth $309,261. The number of citations issued in Pleasant Hill per capita is nearly double that of Des Moines, which generates $5.9 million from its ticketing program.

Colorado Ticket Quota Uncovered Police officials in Denver, Colorado confirmed that they have placed pressure on rank-and-file officers to issue a minimum number of traffic citations. Since September, those that have failed to produce have faced disciplinary action.

Motorcycle traffic officers must issue at least sixteen tickets in every eight-hour shift. With 26 traffic officers, that quickly adds up to

100,000 tickets per year and more than a million in revenue. All of the city's other officers have a reduced ticket quota to fill, in addition to their regular duties.

Mexico: Freeway Speed Cameras ComingAlbuquerque, New Mexico follows the lead of Scottsdale, Arizona and plans to install lucrative freeway speed cameras. Mayor Martin J. Chavez announced yesterday that permanent speed cameras and roving photo radar vans would soon begin ticketing motorists who pass through on Interstates 40 or 25. The city's camera ticket program has already generated 89,000 tickets on city streets worth at least $13 million.

According to the city budget, Albuquerque has faced a significant deficit since 2005. The city adopted a number of revenue raising plans, including a large sales tax increase, to fill the $10.1 million budget gap.

Dangerous Intersections Are Not Sufficiently ProfitableRed light running violations are insufficient to sustain red light cameras at the most dangerous Lubbock, Texas intersections. LubbockThe "most dangerous" intersections in Lubbock, Texas are not profitable enough to sustain a red light camera program, according to a report received yesterday by the city council's traffic commission. Lubbock had proposed to install the devices at the fourteen locations with the highest accident rates, but red light camera operator ATS documented that only four of these were close to sustaining an acceptable level of profit. According to city documents, Lubbock expects to make $2,007,360 in the program's first year with ATS pocketing $3.3 million over five years.

City Depended on Red Light Camera Revenue Before InstallationA stalled red light camera has caused a budget crisis in Lubbock, Texas. Councilman John LeonardCity officials in Lubbock, Texas ordered a freeze on all new hiring for government departments -- including police and fire

-- because of a budget shortfall caused by red light cameras. The city had been counting on using the devices to produce $1.5 million in revenue, but last week it was forced to delay the program. KCBD television had exposed the short yellow timing at proposed camera intersections and forced officials to agree to extend the duration of yellow lights.

Just goes on and on and on.... REVENUE.

Irrevelant personal insult.

Irrelevant personal insult.

Funny how you spend your time making baseless assertions and irrelevant insults while I make supported arguments.

Reply to
Brent P

Okay, let's.

Everyone in ramfm and rad is invited to cast your votes.

Brent - thumbs up, or thumbs down?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I have no idea... context?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

"If the shit hits the fan that hard"? What do you expect, a one-day Armageddon? WTF are you talking about?

Reply to
CobraJet

Down! Booooo!

Reply to
GILL

"dwight" wrote in news:KqednUqfBsch9d snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Brent can stuff his own thumb up his butt.

Reply to
Joe

"dwight" said in rec.autos.driving:

UP.

Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

For the benefit of rad, Brently is a blowhard. He blows. Hard.

Reply to
CobraJet

:> I'd like to think the snowbird thing was just for the old farts. :>However, I've seen this " I can count the pebbles in the asphalt" :>technique from much younger drivers with northern plates. I can only :>conclude that people from any area with any kind of real winter weather :>can't drive worth shit compared to the warm state natives.

Well I'm a New Englander currently living in Maryland and we NE'ers don't find it necessary to slow down to 35 mph on the interstates every time it drizzles. In my experience, MD drivers and those in neighboring states , plus the District, are far worse than anything I experienced in NE in 30+ years of winters, summers, etc...

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

Speed limits are widely underposted, 85th percentile method, the usual.

Reply to
Brent P