This Oughta Push Brently Over The Edge

Holy Crap! Does it figure that a Brently supporter has perhaps the lamest website I've seen? Gee, let's drive around and see what kind of real or imagined mistakes people make on the road!

Another whiner! Whoda thunkit!?!?!? Who's driving behind you, yahoo?

Reply to
CobraJet

You need a new hobby, Brently. May I suggest...

CobraJet

Up. He is not always the most articulate person, but he knows what he's talking about.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

You've got that right.

I left Pennsylvania during a "blizzard" (hey, it was snowing, snowing hard, so the "meteoroligists" were all calling it a blizzard). We were doing about

55 on I-95, heading south. By Baltimore, it was 45, but in Washington, DC (where the snow had accumulated as much as 1/2" already), traffic was stopped.

It's like they'd never seen the stuff before. I understand that EVERY snow in Washington is the first snow.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

China aims to dominate the US. What better way to do than to have the dollar under their thumb?

If you weren't worried, you would have all your money in US dollars and not bother with gold and firearms. No need being prepared for something that can't happen....

I dunno... I am just relaying what I picked up. Like I said, the one with the best resume only has a nobel price and once was high up at the world bank. Another in the federal reserve, etc and so forth. I think what they said makes sense. Maybe the fed will walk the tight rope successfully. But it is a tightrope, and there might be a wind shift they can't handle.

Reply to
Brent P

Thumbs up.

Reply to
Arif Khokar

Check google groups statistics for r.a.d and see who holds the top two ranks. The majority of the regulars here in r.a.d. have a favorable view of him AFAICT.

Reply to
Arif Khokar

Thumbs down.

Now that gas prices are higher, it is clear that speed limits are not just about keeping traffic flow at a certain speed, but also for maximizing fuel economy because traffic driving at that speed (also keeping a proper 2 to 3 second following distance) flows freely enough without too many bottlenecks when onramps or lane reductions occur...

...provided, of course, that slow moving big rigs aren't de-facto closing an entire lane by doing 35 to 40mph on a road posted for 65 or 70mph.

Reply to
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

So what I think your point is that you want a narrower distribution of speeds for better flow. Not really slower speeds, or trying to restrict everyone to some outdate rule of thumb fuel economy speed, but rather a smooth traffic flow. This is exactly what 85th percentile speed limits do. They slow down faster drivers and speed up slower drivers. They encourage keep-right-except-to-pass lane discipline. Flow quality improves. The trouble with pulling a number out of one's ass is that it's very difficult to get everyone to do that speed +/- whatever unless dumb luck places it close to the 85th percentile.

To achieve good traffic flow, one has to go with the flow so to speak and gather the data needed and then use that. Putting up an arbitary speed and then trying to get a tight distribution about it is about as silly as building a dam to control a river without doing any site surveys or flow measurements.

Reply to
Brent P

CobraJet said in rec.autos.driving:

Begone, troll.

*PLONK!*
Reply to
Scott en Aztlán

Without seeing exactly what we're discussing, I can say that Brent's opinions on the above usually are close to mine, so thumbs up.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Hey! Now you are insulting TROLLS!

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Thumbs up!

At least he has some basis for his position, besides alcohol induced psychosis that is...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Supported by your single internet source which, like you, goes on and on without making a positive impact on society by changing the things you believe are wrong. You've been harping on the same things for years; how great the Autobahn is, how bad US drivers are, lane discipline; speed limits. What has changed. What have you done to personally make America better?

Reply to
Spike

Damn to I have to spoon feed you morons everything? There's a link to the source material at the end of each page. These refer to the newspapers or other sources from which the information came. They are widely varied.

I already covered that in part, your ADD is not my problem?

What are you doing mr. apathy?

Reply to
Brent P

I dunno, Ash... I mean, I'll grant his "position"; like I said, I was never arguing about that. But his style of discourse is all over the freakin' block! Ask one question, and he answers something completely unrelated. Ask an unrelated question, and - blam - he's back to his original non-argument.

There's just something not right there...

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Why, he's talking about it in newsgroups.

In other words, he's doing every bit as much as you.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

The reader.

Reply to
Brent P

Under what logical impairment did you arrive at the conclusion that participation in usenet meant to the exclusion of everything else?

Actually participation in usenet makes other efforts easier.

Reply to
Brent P

Well, OK, what was it again that you personally have accomplished in changing stupid laws?

With the amount of time you spend here, there's no way you could have time for a job (unless you're stealing time from your boss), much less anything else.

Reply to
CobraJet