Three problems with road salt...

  1. It rots out cars.
  2. The slurry it creates shortly after hitting new snow is far harder to maintain traction on than fresh snow. I have no trouble driving around on snow, even inches deep with my Mustang with snow tires, but when it turns into that brown slush, watch out.
  3. Ever notice how many accidents happen on dry winter roads? Reason is the dry, powdery salt acts like graphite, makes the roads slippery as Hell. Problem is, people think dry roads makes it ok to go fast. Big mistake.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

Eastern part of Canada, eh?

We've been enjoying a series of "arctic blasts" here in the Philly area. Two inches of snow, followed by a thin layer of freezing rain and then another layer of snow. Temperature hasn't broken 30 degrees in far too long...

Even the dry roads can present severe problems - anything that melts in the daytime sun soon becomes ice. You can be lulled into false confidence, come around a turn and find yourself in a whole lot of trouble quickly. Even on the highways, you can suddenly lose a lane to blown, drifting snow.

But what amazes me is the number of road warriors who do the most incredibly stupid things DURING the snow and before the roads are properly plowed. I know that rain brings out aggressive behavior in some, but snow and ice ... ?!?

Me, I just want to get where I'm going safely and without a mark on the car. No hurry. No hurry at all.

dwight

dwight

First part of winter, we had it good. No snow. Then Jan arrived and... Problem with most people is that it takes them half the winter to learn how to drive in the snow again. I also like the Chief of Police's suggestion to start allowing studs on tires again. Since they are now graphite, they won't tear up the pavement but will permit better traction on ice or snow.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard