Uh -Oh, did I screw up my clutch?

OK, yesterday I was in a rather aggressive mood so I took the 2000 GT (42k - modified exhaust and cold air intake - a rather stock car) for a drive and a car wash. I took it took it the local Laserwash (which has nothing but water touch the car, and works great). The car get a nice bath including an undercarriage pressure washing.

Now, we all agree the best way to dry a car - is to drive REAL fast. I went to the area's deserted commercial park on Sundays which has a great 1.5 mile straight run. I rode from one end to the other to check things OK. Yup, it's all clear. So, I punch it, power shifting between

5000-5500RPM and nailing gears. Then it happens. I missed 4 and went to
  1. I quickly recover from it but not before redlining at 7000RPM for a second or two. So as I coast along and wonder what just happened, and try to get my bearings together I ponder the implications of my actions. The decision has been made. Make another run to see if things seem normal.

Decision being made, I nail it again, this time getting all the gears, but in 4th, the clutch seems to be slipping. Hum, this is a weird feeling. Another test and sure enough the clutch is slipping and now I can smell the wonderful smell.

So I conclude I busted it up a bit. No big deal I have been wanting

3:73's any way, so this would be a good reason to justify it to my logical side and my wife. So, I took the car home and put her away. The wife immediately senses my tension. I explain my stupidity and she says "that was you making all that noise? (the commercial park is right behind my house).

After thinking about it a few hours of thinking and finishing up a movie called Northern Country, which was pretty good, I had to take the movies back. The wife and I decided to drive the Stang to show her "what" it's doing. Now it's driving fine. Although I was not "getting into it" like I was earlier I was still pushing it pretty hard and the clutch seemed to maintain good pressure.

So I ask you fine people :

  1. Was maybe the clutch soaked and not working correctly from the power washing?
  2. Did I overheat it? If there is such a thing.
  3. Does the clutch adjust itself? I did the manual "pull the pedal up and slowly push down routine" right after the act of stupidity.
  4. Any ideas?

Thanks, Shane

Reply to
Shane

I'd put my money on #2

Reply to
Gumby619

"Shane" wrote

So what do the gears in the pumpkin have ANYTHING to do with you burning up your clutch? Wrong end of the car.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

We know that, and he knows that, but the wife doesn't have to know that. "Gee dear. I kinda smoked the clutch. To fix it they have to replace all this 'stuff'. I just can't believe it" Sounds good to me.

Reply to
HerkyJerky

my sentiments exactly...

carl

Reply to
Carl

Yea, I have to get it ALL fixed you see....

Reply to
Shane

So, we are leaning towards the clutch overheating?

Man, I really wanted those 3:73's .......

Aw well....

Shane

Reply to
Shane

Feel free to show this to your wife... The *only* way to fix your car is to add 3.73's with limited slip and a new high-performance clutch. Also, a supercharger would fix that gas mileage right up...

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Carl,

I knew I liked you. I also like the way you think. That supercharger is going to be mighty steep in price. I might get away with just the rear and performance clutch.

BTW - Does anyone have a guess on what happened? Is the clutch ok do you think?

Shane

Reply to
Shane

Yes, and yes.

If you overheated it with just 1-2 hard passes, that clutch isn't long for this world. A good street clutch should last 30-40 minutes on a road course before overheating. If you treat it gently, it will last a while longer. But it won't take too much more abuse. Time for a good heavy duty clutch.

Reply to
.boB

I'm also putting in a vote for a dying clutch disc or weak pressure plate. Replace the whole set with a good quality set and be sure to get those gears!

Be sure you let us know what happens.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

BUT If a guy (or gal) can find ANY way to justify a mod to their spouse, even if it means looking a little foolish, then what the heck! I say if his wife lets him put in new gears because he overheated his clutch, then he should go for it!

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Yea, YOU have the right idea! That's the way I'd play it too - if hubs wasn't a mechanic. *sign* I have to go with "It will keep me out of the stores if I have ___ on my jeep"

Actually works too most of the time.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Shane! Listen carefully! When the clutch overheats, it causes a ripple effect. With those new ears you may have to replace your driveline with an aluminium one so it doesn't happen again and of course maybe a Centerforce clutch AND did you know that if you have a short throw shifter it really helps with this sort of thing by letting you get it into gear so much faster. Suspension mods will keep it stiffer, allowing less twist in the drive train and body flex (these two can ruin a car in short order, soon it would look like a pretzel) it may be what you need to save the engine from a similar fate. To be certain, you should put a supercharger on because without it the car cannot breathe properly and by holding all that power inside like it does without one it may just blow up.

Understand? ;¬) Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate
***HUG***

You da man Carl!

Now Shane, you have been taught by the master.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

I must confess. I recently used my unborn child as an excuse. How bad was that?

Reply to
Scott Van Nest

See Mustangs Anon. Step one is admitting you need more mods.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

How ya doin kid??!! Ok, so now you have to tell us how you pulled it off Scott, the baby made you do it?

Baby on the way? Soon?

Where the hell is Don these days?

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

But but but... no one said they wanted a cure... just a better excuse.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

My 2nd kid is due 3/23. I told the wife I had to have the car done before hand because I didn't think much work would get done afterwards. And since the motor had to be rebuild, a 331 kit was a must.

Next mod has to be a mini spool. One spinning tire just doesn't look cool. And I hit top end way too soon. I had 3.90 gears with the stock 302. I am thinking of going back to 3.00 with the fresh motor. Any thoughts?

I thought Don ran off to LA. Hope a gator didn't get him.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Van Nest