ok so what did everyone get?

apart from an xmas jumper and a pair of socks, what else did you oldies get for xmas?

i got a new motherboard and CPU for my comp so i'm now running a nice quad core setup :) and apart from a few dvd's and a couple of games for the wii didn't really get much else but i got most of the stuff on my list wasn't a very big list, mainly cos the motherboard and CPU was so damn expensive!

Reply to
Vamp

That's the one. In the sort of ultra-violet colour.

I tried to persuade her to get a Touch, but having had a play with the Nano, I reckon she made the right decision.

Reply to
SteveH

Intel Core i7?

I got a Nintendo Ds and those Brain Training games, an electric Oral-B toothbrush like those wot are on the telly ads and a new mobile. I also got some little things like pants, Ferrero Roche and some of those little cube guys that when you put them next to each other, one of them will like, 'move into' the cube next door and they either play sports or just have a fight :-) Oh my best gift may have been my 'Slanket'. Basically it's a really big, thick fleece blanket but wiith sleeves in it! So you can lay down under your blanket and then if you want your arms out to read/xbox etc then it stops them from getting cold because they're in the sleeves hehe :-)

Reply to
DanB

Capri instrument binnacle, 32" LG telly, shitload of choccies, bit of money (which looks like it's going to go on a garage bill) and a watch cos I broke my old one.

Reply to
Conor

"Vamp" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indian cookbook & a set of Halfrauds Pro flex-head ratchet spanners.

Reply to
Adrian

new wheels for the Golf and a decat. new phone sony erricson c905???? sounds like something Clive Sinclair invented usual assortment of dvds socks and things

Reply to
Rob

This year we set a budget for ourselves as one, we had my mother up with us and she's unemployed, and two, we're broke too as we've spent all our money on a trip to California as my brother-in-law is getting married on the 3 January. Even so we both did well with our budget and the haul of loot was more thought out and better than expected. Batman: Dark Night appeared as did a couple of CDs and calendars.

Oh and even though I get to keep my job in Pontefract rather than move to Leeds city centre (there's much to be thankful for so I don't mean to sound so ungrateful heh) I'll be out of the office for almost a full month. Yay!

Reply to
DervMan

Got a huge Chinook model which is going to take some time to learn - don't think it would survive much of a crash. So far it's been no further than a foot off the deck.

Prezzy to myself was a MegaSquirt kit which arrived from the US on Tuesday. See now why most buy them ready made. ;-)

The normal way with electronics is to fit all the resistors first, then capacitors, then 'hardware', and finally the semiconductors. As a rough guide. They want you to do it in chunks and test as you go. Which makes the mechanics of assembly much more tricky. And there's no circuit diagram I can find yet - no instructions with the kit, you've got to download them. And not one with those.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mario kart and a wii fit between me and Alison. World according to Clarkson 3 book. A car valetting set from my 6 year old nephew. Best of all though, for my 40th, A red letter day sports car event. So, do I go for the Ferrari or the 911/Cayman/Elise day.

I like Porkers, I doubt I could Clarkson my way into an Elise, so would have to hope it was the 911/Cayman that was available. Closest track is Wigan 3 sisters but I thought that was a gocart track. Shame Oulton isn't on the track list options.

I guess an F360 would be cool but I would regret not ever being able to afford one afterwards, when there is always the potentional of finding an older 911.

Reply to
Elder

That would be my approach, too! Enjoy. :-p

Reply to
DervMan

Oh I plan to. I know you only get about 1.5hours wheel time on the one I've been bought, but it should still be fun.

And I can get to show off my previous rear engine handling experience ;)

Reply to
Elder

Got a set of those about a year ago. Damned useful and take a shitload of grief.

Reply to
Conor

Indeed...and you'll be surprised at how knackered you are mentally afterwards.

Reply to
Conor

I got a Mazda MX-5 :-) J Plate, red, FSH UK car in decent nick. Luvverly it is too. I can even drive it sideways without crashing :-). Missus bought me a lovely set of new proper Mazda mats for it which arrived yesterday. Other than that I got some other bits and pieces - some tools, a decent welder, loads of clothes and books and my mum bought us a stereo/CD player thing for the house. Oh, and a Wii. Forgot about that one.

recession? What recession?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Watch. Shaver (wonder if that's a hint...), usual clothes / chocolates and stuff...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

lol i wish you seen the cost of i7 na this was a cheap-ish upgrade, just over £200 quid for board and quad core cpu

my lil sis got brain training on her DS i quite like that it's proper addictive! i know the cube guy thing you mean seen them pretty cool the slanket sounds really cool as well!

Reply to
Vamp

A new 3/8" and 1/4" socket set was the only car related present. Nat bought me a wallet made out of gaffer tape which is very appropriate. We also got loads of sweeties, bath things and the normal other stuff, but we got a fair bit of cash which originally we planned on buying wedding rings with (our belated 'big' presents to eachother), but after playing on Nat's little brothers Wii Fit I think we've now decided to buy cheaper rings (very pikey) and get a Wii Fit instead, which I'm very pleased about :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Since Theo and Peter from Dragon's Den took it over a few years back, they're apparently a lot better than they used to be as a result of the amount of letters of complaint they inherited and were still receiving from when it was owned by that other bird from Dragon's Den (not Deborah Meaden, the first one in the early seasons) was bordering on the comical apparently. So they both went and did one themselves and agreed with the complaints regarding lack of wheel time, lack of being able to go even vaguely quickly (one didn't allow anything over 3,500rpm or something heh) and also the instructors been incredibly patronising and often quite rude.

Reply to
DanB

Aye they're not exactly cheap as chips are they (hehe :-) ). Also all the mobos you can get are like, £250. I'm gutted that I'm always on the laptop now though as my PC was a beast and recently I got a £1 for 3 issues plus free toolkit subscription to Custom PC and it made me realise how behind I was! It's actually pretty interesting so I'm gonna let the subscription run after the freebies, but it's making me want to build a new PC, even though I wouldn't be able to use it heh. It'd be an i7, 6gb DDR3, Geforce GTX 295 when it comes out and a few 1tb Samsung Spinpoint F1 in RAID as well. Chose them because in the real world, they're faster than the 10krpm Velociraptors apparently, although I must admit that when I changed my boot drive to a

10krpm one, it sped the machine up loads...

The Slanket is the best thing EVER :-)

That website is shitty looking, but you get the idea :-)

Reply to
DanB

Yeah I heard things improved since they took over.

Reply to
Elder