Upgrade 35th anniversary V6 3.8L

I'm very new at this so please keep that in mind. I bought my 1999 mustang conv v6 3.8L with the thought in mind that I would make it my project car. So far I have put on a dual Borla exhaust system, a MAC cold air intake, Eibach springs, and 17" racing wheels and tires. Now this may seem like the stupid part; I could not find a 5 speed 35th anniversary convertible anywhere. I want to change the engine and transmission to a 5sp transmission and a very high horsepower engine. From reading other threads I understand that my next upgrade should be the gears, but I'm just looking forward to something bigger. Could someone please tell me what engine is able to drop in this chasis? I saw a very few SVT Cobra 390 hp engines, but I wanted to know from an experienced/expert person on what a logical upgrade to the engine should be. Please keep in mind that I am a real newbie at maintaining cars and I'm trying to just learn.

Reply to
Menoah

Michael Seeley

you can do some pretty amazing things with the 6cyl cars....just don't convert it to a v8. supersixmotorsports.com has 4.2 stroker kits, heads/cam/intake kits, you name it. all of the suspension and wheel stuff available for 99+ cars also fits your car, and that's probably a wise investment.

but, for the money, time, and hassle of making the 6cyl car into an 8cyl car, you could just buy the car. simple as that. . tim

95 mustang gt 5spd
Reply to
Rosco1211

Thanks for all of your input guys. I guess I'm just stuck on sticking to the original body of the 35th anniversary. I know the convertible is over 4k lbs. and the thought of it ever being a race machine is far off. I really got into it when I bought a diablo performance chip and realized the gains I made by doing something so easy was incredible. It was at this point I realized that I wanted to keep the body and perform all mods and upgrades by myself. I don't mean to reinstate too much but before I had taken the computer out and placed this chip, I was doing good to check the oil on a car. I want so much to learn mechanics and see what I can do. I think I've done a lot of research and hard work by putting on my exhaust and dropping it 2" by myself. I love this car and I really want to stick with it. Knowing myself and knowing that I won't sell it, wish me luck installing the gears. I hope to have a picture soon and everyone can tell me what they think. Thanks for being understanding and not condesending.

Reply to
Menoah