US Mustang to Europe (Netherlands)

"Garth Almgren" wrote

| I don't know if the SN95 Cobras also had the amber turn | signals (and my recollection says they didn't).\

They don't...

Geeze Paul, I'm finally going to be close enough to meet you and your sweetie, and you're running away.. now I'm all butthurt.

I mean.. I won't be THAT close LOL

Kate

| | The man to talk to about the feasibility of bringing your lighting up to | spec is the namesake of Daniel Stern Lighting. Dan a real expert on | everything relating to automotive lighting, and he'll be the first to | tell you there's a lot more to it than just swapping the lamp | assemblies. You can find his e-mail address on his website at |

| | > I know I'm gonna have to do something to the gauge pod as it's in miles | > and I need kilometers to be the prominent one. I wonder if those white | > gauge kits I see on eBay would be available with KM prominent (Like eg | > for the Canadian Mustang drivers) it should not be to hard to affix | > those to my current gauge pod. Unless I can find one cheap that is in | > KM for a V6. | | The decals are probably the way to go (try ebay.ca), unless you can find | a Canadian dealership or Musttanguy's Canuck counterpart willing to cut | you a deal... | | For that matter, you might just ask Tim AKA Musttanguy himself; he might | be able to give you some leads.
or just| PING him here in the group.| | | -- | / Garth - '83 GL V6stang Hatch \ | | My V6stang:
|| | RAMFM Merchandise:
|| \Mirror, mirror on the wall, that's my e-mail address?/|

Reply to
SVTKate

Pardon me while I just pick myself up off the floor... Wow! I love my Stang, but not quite THAT much!

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
SVTKate

The problem is he's going to continential europe, where they drive on the right. UK headlamps would be set up for a left hand drive beam pattern. Tail lamps would be good though.

Reply to
Brent P

There are 'UK specific" left hand drive headlamps as well. The big difference being is the way the diffuser is molded and patterned..........

Bill S.

Brent P wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Huh? UK standards and UK specific would be the same thing, left hand drive beam pattern. ECE standards take left and and right hand drive into account I believe.

If ford is making ECE right hand drive lamps for '94-'98 mustangs (as per the OP) I'm gonna have to try and track down how to get a pair.

Reply to
Brent P

Good luck...Your going to need a UK based dealer to order them for you in order to get a hold of them................

Bill S.

Brent P wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Ok, that only makes what you are attempting to convey even more confusing.

1) If they have to be ordered through a UK dealer, why did you say contact dearborn in your initial post? Getting them from MI is no big deal for me, it's just across the lake. 2) And why would a UK dealer carry or order right hand drive ECE headlamps when in the UK they drive on the left? 3) UK specific and UK standards mean the same thing to me, left hand drive headlamps to the ECE standard. The OP is going to a nation that drives on the right side of the road. I am also interested in upgrading the headlamps on my '97 to something that actually makes them useful for seeing without blinding other drivers. (so the APC lamps, blue bulbs, and overwattage bulbs made for the ricey crowd don't cut it and left hand drive lamps would blind oncoming drivers as well) Please clarify what you ment by these terms.

A couple years ago when I last attempted to find out if such headlamps even existed, ford dealers in right hand drive european countries that responded to my inquiries stated that they did not exist for '94-'98 SN95 mustangs. So, your initial post that implied (the way I read it) LHD drive ECE lamps might be available through dearborn (where my inquiries either resulted in responses of check european dealers or they did not exist) made me curious with regards to what you ment by 'UK standards' and if there were also RHD sets available.

Reply to
Brent P

at 10 Nov 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:bwTrb.9271$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com:

Last time I checked prices in the Netherlands it was indeed like $35K for a v6 Coupe. Not a nice price at all. And we are not talking loaded coupe either...

Reply to
Paul

at 10 Nov 2003, elmo [ snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.fr] wrote in news:boop7q$7ia$ snipped-for-privacy@news-reader5.wanadoo.fr:

Thanks for the warning. The company that quoted me said they put a security bolt on it that requires a powersaw or bolt cutters to remove. Which the offer insurance against. But yeah. I'd sure be pissed...

Reply to
Paul

at 10 Nov 2003, Bill S. [ snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net] wrote in news:IoTrb.2470$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

Thanks Bill, Not going to the UK though but NL in about 6 to 12 months. Making sure I have my ducks in a row so I have tiime to either get all the paperwork correctly done and needed parts scrounged or find her a worthy new owner...

Reply to
Paul

at 10 Nov 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:IsTrb.9256$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com:

Not running that hard hon, 6 to 12 months. Only sooner if certain thinsg work out way quicker than I expect...

True. :-)

Reply to
Paul

Brent,

Not sure what bug is up your behind, but I speak from experience. I've helped export several Mustangs (new and old) to the UK, Japan, Austria, Australia, Sweden and Norway (even sent a 99 GT convertible to Madrid for my brother-in-law)...Each country, hell, each Province has it's own laws as to what can and cannot be brought in to their areas "as is". If your going to a specific area of a specific country, you need to speak with the local governing body, as well as the general convening body as to what needs to be done to satisfy them. No two countries are the same...............As for UK specific parts, for those, you must contact Ford in Dearborn, so they can tell you what they have available, and what needs to be sourced in the country your going to......Expect your car(s) to be in drydock for at least two months once it arrives overseas, as that is how long some countries hold on to "foreign" vehicles...Some even longer.......................

Bill S.

Brent P wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Nothing. I would like to know what you are trying to say with regard to headlamps for '94 to '98 mustangs.

Yeah yeah we all know your creidentials and that countries are all different with regards to this and that. It's a striaght forward question are there ECE headlamps for '94-'98 mustangs in countries where people drive on the right?

Bill, nobody has asked about getting UK headlamps as nobody here intends to be driving on the wrong (left) side of the road.

The OP asked regarding headlamps for the netherlands, where he intends to go, they drive on the right. I live in the USA and am not moving anytime soon, but I would like superior performing ECE compliant headlamps for countries that drive on the right. (ie, those that drive on the same side of the road as the USA) Maybe refering to the headlamps by side of the road, as I'm more used to seeing them refered by because the extra light goes to that side vs. where the driver sat was confusing, but still doesn't explain why you brought the UK into it in the first place.

I have expressed this in the most simple terms possible. If you don't know the answer, just say you don't know. This is not a bug up my ass or any attack on you. But for some reason you seem to see it as one. Obviously from the first question and hence the snide 'good luck' commentary.

I WANT ECE compliant headlamps for a 1997 mustang that is to be driven on the right hand side of the road. That's as simple as it gets. I have been told by various sources that they DO NOT EXIST. Consistantly told this. You hinted that they DO EXIST. So I asked further questions, upon which I get obstruction and told that there's a bug up my ass. Sorry, I ask difficult questions, there's no shame in not knowing the answer. It's not an attack, it's not challenging you as supreme ruler of the newsgroup.

I just want to know if the friggin' things exist because when I last tried a couple years ago, I was told no, by ford. That may have changed since then because as the cars get older, importing them I would think gets easier and more common.

Reply to
Brent P

You won't have any problems with a US spec'd car in Europe. There are

1000's of US military & civilian vehicles driving the roads with no problems, except lack of power. I would guess that changing to euro faceplates would be easy enough, but in the 41/2 years that I spent in europe (Germany), I never had an issue with keeping the speed straight. You can also just use quick math to check your speeds. If you're in say, an 80km zone... multiply the tens number (8 in this case) x 6 = 48mph... 100kph = 10x6=60... its not exact, but good enough for a quick reference against your speedometer, especially at night when the guages might be a little tougher to see.

Good luck!

Reply to
Mustang_66

Well brent,

As I stated before, unless your going to have your car out of the country, there is not a likely way for you to get the headlamps you so desire. The headlamps for my brother in laws 99 GT racgtop (now being driven around in Madrid) were sourced in the UK (actually Germany I believe).....I did not get them for him, but the compliance company that was making the changes "in port" did.........These companies make a living by being able to either source out, or produce the parts to make "A" car legal in their country............Are the parts out there, you bet they are, are you going to be able to sneak them in to the states, perhaps, but not likely.......

Bill S.

Brent P wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

Ok. I give up. There is no information to be gained here. dearborn->Uk dealer->dearborn->Uk dealer->compliance company, 99 GT, not '94-'98. My memory is foggy, but I remember ECE compliant '99 up headlamps being available. All I can find for '94-'98 is hacking in some hyundai lamps.

And as far as getting parts into the USA. APC gets their noncompliant made in china riceboy crap into the USA.... One can buy ECE compliant replacements for sealed beams in the USA as well.

Reply to
Brent P

Please be advised that importing you car into Holland is not the same as bringing it over as part of military stationing. The vehicles brought over by military personal have legally not entered Holland. Thefore they don't pay road taxes, and don't have to have an inspection every year. This also means those cars can't simply be sold to normal citizens as this would mean that the car would first have to be imported (legally), duties on it must be paid and it would only then get a Dutch license plate.

There is one very important catch: if no car of this type has ever been imported into Holland, there won't be a sort of safety check available for that car. The first car of a unknown type would have to pay for setting up this safety check. So, in case no Mustang of the type you have has been imported here you woulod have to pay for this. This would make it way to expensive.

However, they seem to look at body structure: a VW beach buggy I imported from Germany was tested as a VW beetle, even though the body had been shortened by almost 10 inches....

Once again: if you want to be certain, I would contact the RDW, or maybe the Dutch Mustang club can help you on this.

Michel

Reply to
Michel