Very noisy fuel pump

Over the last month the fuel pump has progressively gotten noisier.

Might it be on its last legs?

Are they difficult to replace (91 LX 2.3L)?

John

Reply to
Slightly Graying Wolf

depends on what you'd call difficult... lotsa gas sloshing around.

never do it in a garage

this time of year, i'd say let a pro do it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Definitely. Consider yourself lucky for the warning. Many times they just die with no warning and leave you stranded.

If you consider dropping the fuel tank in order to get to the pump difficult, then let a shop so the work.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Yea, although Ford pumps are noiser than most others. But it probably should be done while it still runs. What I find interesting about all this is that the pump is one price and the fuel pickup is another price and you have to have BOTH to get the pump warranty. The price of the fuel pickup is pretty high when you consider it's just a small plastic screen. I guess they need to make their money somehow.....

Reply to
Kruse

One other thing, until you get it fixed don't let the fuel level in the tank go below the 1/2-3/4 mark. The pump is surrounded by the gas in the tank and it is what keeps it cool. Letting the fuel go low lets the pump heat up and increases the chance of it failing.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

AGAIN!!!?

Is it or is it not an axial flow pump? I can see the reduction in pump cooling in 100 deg weather when fuel temps rise and there's limited cooling... but he's in canada and it aint hot.

To the reverse, running the tank low makes the job a LOT easier!

But remember, it's the fumes that explode, not the liquid.

So STILL let a shop do it... good money spent though you may grit your teeth.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

well said backyard.....

Reply to
DG

By the same token, if it actually fails when the tank is pretty full, it can be a supreme pain in the rump to pull the tank when it's that heavy with fuel. My suggestion is to just run it down to 1/4 tank (or a little less) and take it to a shop unless you've got access to a lift. This definitely isn't a job I'd want to do on ramps on a cold garage floor....

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

I guess a lit match isn't hot either? What makes for a better heat dissipater a liquid or a gas? The liquid will draw more heat from the pump. Air is actually quite a good insulator and I bet the pump can still get quite warm especially if it is in its death throws.

How is this possible? The pump discharge is at the top of the tank and if the tank is near empty it has additional head to overcome to draw the liquid to that point verses the tank being full. This in turn requires the pump to work harder. To simplify the theory, which would require more effort, pulling a bucket of water up a 100' deep well or a 10' deep well?

True but I don't see the relevance of this here.

I agree completely on this point.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

My comment was made in the light of the pump not being fixed. It is quite easy for the shop to drain the tank and in many ways I would ask them to in order to remove any sediment accumulated in the bottom. However, with the price of gas nowadays it isn't the most economical of decisions to roll into the shop with a full tank.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

What is it causes problems when it overheats Mike?

The jacket or the bearings?

Does the tank fuel cool the bearings or does fuel flow cool and lube the bearings?

Engage some of that Engineering knowledge.

Like I said; IN THIS CASE the latent fuel temp is moot!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Could be a number of things. If the pump is working harder to provide fuel then the it consumes more power. If it consumes more power then it will run hotter which increases the odds of a bad pump failing sooner. Just like any other electric motor.

The simple questions is will the pump run cooler submerged in a liquid or suspended in a gas? My bet is on the liquid. Would you freeze to death faster in 30 degree ice water or 30 degree air?

I haven't done that since leaving college 20+ years ago. ;)

Maybe and then maybe not. I would error on the side of caution and run with a nearly full tank until the pump is replaced. It might make the difference between driving the car to the shop or having it towed.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

No it's an easy ten minute job. It's getting the fuel pump cover off and back on that's a real bitch....

Reply to
WindsorFox

moot moot moot

Reply to
WindsorFox

Shut up and Pass, dammit!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Okay, I'll play... that's only if you dont have a pair of sawhorses and a hoist. ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thank you for all the replies! I will defer this one to my mechanic.

This thing is starting to cost me a few bucks..., but its still cheaper than car payments, so I guess I will keep her for now!

Reply to
Slightly Graying Wolf

All the Ford branded pumps I get are complete.... however, many aftermarket pumps are supplied just as you describe...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Look. Michael's got a P.E. Don't argure with him.

(JUST KIDD> What is it causes problems when it overheats Mike?

Reply to
Jimmy