Vintage Mustang Audio - My improvements

I just finished my audio install in the 65 mustang convertible, and it worked just fine.

I wanted to replace the aftermarket am/fm/cassette radio with an original am radio and install kick panel speakers, but needed to also be able to plug in my ipod, which I had been doing via that cassette adapter.

So, I installed a Pioneer 4 channel amp in the trunk, ran the cables to the front. under the scuff plate. I bought the kick panels from Canadian Mustang in BC, bought the Pioneer low profile speakers on Ebay cheap and installed them. Also got a subwoofer for the trunk (more on that later...)

I have an RCA cable running from the Amp in the trunk to the dash, tucked inside the console storage.

For the Ipod, I have a 1/8" phono to RCA cable that connects into the Amp's RCA cable. For the recently acquired original am radio, I used a line converter to convert the speaker output to RCA.

Since you can't have two inputs connected to the RCA inputs on the Amp at the same time, I simply manually switch the cable, hidden in the console storage. I will eventually get an RCA switch.

What an improvement in sound over the 4x10 speaker. AM radio is still mono, of course, but sounds better, and is louder. The ability to use my ipod is great, and running it thru an amp and decent speakers makes the experience that much better.

As for the subwoofer, it doesn't do much. I think it's because it's a convertible, so the base doesn't resonate between the trunk and passenger compartment, it sort of 'leaks' out the top where the ragtop is stored. May end up pulling it out, but will leave it for now.

Michel.

Reply to
MJT

Cool.

Reply to
Carl

Aside from those who dis Custom Auto Sound products....

I have an AM-FM-CD Controller radio in the dash. This is connected to a Kicker 9 band graphic equalizer in the glove box, which, in turn is connected to an amp in the trunk, where the 10 Disc CD Changer is also located.

The amp connects to a speaker bar spanning the width of the trap door in the back, and pioneer kicks in the front. All the wiring is run under the scuff plates out of sight, and concealed in the trunk buy carpeting which matches the interior.

I have added an FM modulator, which hooks into the headunit antenna jack (the antenna cable plugs into the powered modulator). Connected to the modulator is a 7" portable DVD player, which stands up (when opened all the way) in the cell phone holder of the Cruiser w/console after market console (the top edge of the screen fits just under the radio control knobs. Sound is channeled through the stereo FM band (88.3) for surround sound effect. My replacement for all the drive-in theaters which have been torn down. This also allows me to a) listen to individual CDs if I don't feel like getting out and changing cartridges, or reloading a cartridge, and b) I have the entire restoration project on a disc which I can run as a slide show for car shows. If I want a larger picture, I can channel the portable DVD player video to a 13" LCD television, while the sound still goes by way of the stereo.

In the trunk is a television coax cable I can pull out so when I travel and stay at places like KOA Kampgrounds, I can hook up to their campsite cable system many of them now have... fold down the rear seat, drag out the sleeping bag and some snacks and I'm set for the night.

Now all I need is a mini micro nuker for popcorn, fridge for cold ones, and a coffee maker for in the morning, unless the blond at the next campsite over wants to make breakfast before I hit the road again. LOL : 0 )

Reply to
Spike