What Ford should do about the Vette

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Cobra and Lightning are gone from the '05 lineup. The only thing left is the GT.

I don't think it's what's usable on the street, it's what's desirable regardless. The horsepower wars are on, and it's all good.

True, and Ford has the fabulous '05 Mustang. Other than that though...

True for '04, but the '05 is awesome. GM just needs to market it better.

Same thing holds true for the SSR. The '05 is great with the new motor, but there's no marketing behind it.

Huh? Ford's betting the wad on the mediocre FWD Five Hundred.

ZW, you're dreaming.

The CV and GM are ancient platforms with lackluster 4.6s. No way they can compete with the 300, especially after DC comes out with the 6.1 Hemi.

The F150 is a great truck, but it's got nothing to do with the car lineup.

At this moment, you may be right. But that may change in a year or two, especially if GM gets its act together.

Joe

Unfortunately true.

I was thinking about this. I know there at least a couple. I thought

1968, but don't think so on second thought... It would take some research, given the history of both. Maybe the '95 351R... hmmm...

This is perfect timing to make it happen. Horsepower wars redux.

Reply to
Wound Up

I beat most same year Vettes in my 1988 LX 5.0.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

They have a performance hole. The Mustang GT all the way to the GT. $29,000 versus, what, $125,000? Vettes about $60,000.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

No. A cost reduced version. Instead of say a billet windshield washer bottle, a simple plastic from a mustang or crown vic for instance. Other parts can be made by less expensive processes, etc. The car will probably be heavier and not handle quite as well, but it will cost significantly less to build. Version may not even be the right word since what will result will be a different car.

For production means adding the various items needed for a production volume vehicle. Again, with borrowing from the rest of the line.

GM can do it, Ford can do it if they want to.

Ford however is still into instant collectable marketing so they won't.

Reply to
Brent P

Not part of their marketing plan.

Reply to
Brent P

X-No-archive:yes

------------------------------------------------------ The question is "What GM should do about the Mustang"

********************
Reply to
Brian Orion

Sweat?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:8PWdnY7zi8- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You made my point.

Joe

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:8PWdnY snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

A stripper.

Who's putting billet windshield washer bottles in their cars?

Raiding the existing parts bin to produce a less costly car = stripper. Putting any kind of "niceities" in will increase cost.

I don't believe the could do it if they wanted to.

Joe

RichA wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

stability

Factory, Rich. Anybody can tweak any car to beat a Corvette given enough time and money.

Joe

Ford has the granny and taxi cab market sewn up. People are happily paying $40K for those 300Cs.

Not if you add Chevy to GM brand truck sales.

Ford has been stumbling for quite a while and the new Mustang is the only bright star. Toyota and Nissan are nibbling on the truck market. The new

500 sedan is a styling flop. The Focus earned a terrible reputation for reliability (trumping its good reviews), and has poor resale value.

-John

Reply to
Generic

That IS the philosophy behind the $25K Mustang GT...why cannibalize one product and double the production costs for the same profit? [That's how the accountants think.]

-John

Reply to
Generic

On 26 Jan 2005 20:03:33 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well yeah can't win em all. Although I did drive one recently. Other then the engine not a badly executed car.

Like hell. Right now (in my area) an `05 GM is going for $16,995 with all of the current programs on it. The Ford dealer said he could do about the same on the Crown Vic.

Talking pure HP sure, but if you need/want a full-size RWD sedan you currently have what three choices? Have you seen a base 300 @ 23K? Talk about the lackluster 4.6. How about a 190hp V6 in a car that weighs two freakin tons? No if's and's or but's the 300C is one sweet machine. There is also more MB content in that model then the others, and of course the Hemi. But forget about making a deal on one. They wanted me to leave a nut behind as partial down payment. Both the Merc & Ford dealer were willing to let me have a go at the receptionist if I would take either the CV or GM with leather & the majority of goodies for just north of 19 tax, tag & title.

I don't know Joe, seems everybody has beat them to the market, which isn't a bad thing because you can evaluate what up, but once you start losing sales, they tend to just keep a going.

What you think GM has up it's sneaky little sleeve? A retro `67 Camaro updated ala the Stang? Now let's talk a little car wood on that one. Or how about a re-do of the second generation T/A with a jumped up LS2? If GM could get the remake of a `67 Camaro right I would be on one like stink on shit. Lost my cherry in one of those. Wasn't easy either, let me tell you.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On 26 Jan 2005 17:09:33 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

I would argue that it has past through the sports car vein, into the damn near luxury supercar territory, although at the low-end because of it's materials. Especially in the interior.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:15:48 -0500, RichA wrote something wonderfully witty:

@ 60K you are talking all the way top-end drop-top with options the Mustang can't even compete with. It is more like $29,000 to $44,000. Yeah you can option a Vette out with shit that you can't even add on a Mustang, such as the HUD. Dollars to donuts that gap will close on a hard-top Cobra when it comes out.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:13:54 -0500, RichA wrote something wonderfully witty:

If the driver was a retard, yeah I'll give you that.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

desirable

others,

GM's upping the ante big time with cars like the C6 (not to mention the Z06), CTS-V, GTO, and the upcoming LS2 Trailblazer.

DC's got the Hemi cars like the 300, the Magnum, and the soon-to-be- released Charger. And the Hemi's going to 6.1 liters with well over

400 hp.

Ford has some rumblings going on, but nothing as concrete as GM and DC.

It'll be interesting at the very least to see how things turn out.

Joe

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

(110.1

migrate

"larger

Certainly it's more comfortable than it used to be, but it's still a damn good sports car. Especially when you compare it to some six- figure cars it competes with.

Joe

My car was dead stock. From 0-50, the Vette had maybe a half car lead, from then on, it was always the same, they'd fall behind. Top speed, I have no idea but the LX would hit 148mph.

-Rich

Reply to
RichA