Why doesn't Ford one-up the Vette?

One simple addition to the Mustang line; A small-block 427. They already have the engine, I saw it (if you can image it) in a prototype racing Thunderbird about three years ago. Why won't they do it? How would it look if a Mustang waxed the GT?

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

Why go head to head with the Vette? Now that the f-bodies are long gone, the Stang is the last true two door north american musclecar. And no, I dont count the butt-ugly charger. Carve out your market niche and collect money while there is no direct competition...

Reply to
cprice

Because that Tbird wasn't designed for that sort of thing.

Stupid.

I would love to be on a team that took the GT and turned it into a affordable, mass production sports car in vette price range. I believe it can be done and the compromises wouldn't be anything that the reduction in price couldn't justify easily.

Reply to
Brent P

While GM is standing around with its head up its ass Ford is busy creating the next generation of Mustang fanatics with the '05+ cars. In a few years the younger crowd will say "What's a Camaro?" if GM doesn't act soon.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Cuz they don't have to? People voted with their pocketbooks.

If you want a supercar, but a GT. If you want a fast mustang, buy a supercharger.

Reply to
Ritz

They're already saying that. 8-)

Reply to
Ritz

GM has already announced that the new F-car will make it's appearance in 2007. Artist renderings & guesses at overall look have it go sixties retro like the current Mustang.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

I'm sure you have seen this

around on the web. Supposedly some insiders have said thatit is real close to what they will bring out in 2007 as an F-car in anRS version with a V6 and an SS version with the 5.3l V8. If sales arestrong Pontiac may get a killer LS6 version as a Trans Am. Or so thestories go.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

That's a nice looking car but I think the odds of it seeing the light of day are slim. GM has some huge problems to take care of and a new Camaro won't solve any of them. Just like the Mustang hasn't solved Ford's problems with the other cars in their lineup. I hope they do come out with a Camaro but the odds of GM making it a complete package (performance, style, utility while being affordable) are low at best.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Speaking of the GT, I see that on Ebay they're going for $160,000 opening bid, no reserve, and apparently no takers. What was the MSRP again? $125,000? After a year at $250,000+, they seem to be creeping down to that level in the real world. Even at $160,000 they're now a bargain compared to the Ferrari and Lamborghini competition. Check this comparo:

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

Given GM's pattern, it will be a FWD car too!

Reply to
Brent P

The entire "retro" package could be rounded out with the equivalent of a big block.

-Rich

Reply to
Rich

How about a new aluminum big block 427 side oiler!? Genesis has this block in the Ford Racing Performance Parts Catalog now. This would drastically increase their production and lower the cost substantially. Supercharge it!

6 speed manual transmission! Posi-lock rear end! Then, Ford could one up the 2006 GT 500 and the Corvette all in one!

I think Ford should hire me! That's the best idea I heard in a long time!

Reply to
John

You can get the same amount of power found in a vintage big block with a lot less weight in a properly tuned modern small block V8 or V6 plus forced induction. And if you can drive it like a sane person, you even get relatively good gas mileage instead of the single digit mpg of an old big block.

If you want vintage, buy a vintage car.

Reply to
Ritz

While I love the 427 side oiler, I don't fondly remember having to re-adjust the valves every other month. That was the best part (at least from a routine maintenance standpoint) about the "upgrade" to a 428cj, hydraulic lifters.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Actually, I think GM killed the RWD platform they were working on. It was to be the base of several RWD vehicles ala DC's 300M/Charger etc.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Been there, done that. Luckily, the Genesis lifter galleys are drilled to accept hydraulic or solid lifters. I think hydraulic roller tappets would be just dandy!

Reply to
John

Just dandy for your neighborhood gas station. 8-) Those engines use an ungodly amount of gas. Great to collect, but tough to live with on a daily basis.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Or they think 'camaro' in the same thought as 'mullett'

Reply to
cprice

*ITS NOT HERE NOW*. Artists renderings of me in 2 years give me muscles like Arnie and attributes like John Holmes.
Reply to
cprice