What is the most a stock '99 GT block can handle reliably?

Just a question:

What is the most HP a stock '99 GT block will handle without problems? I have a '99 GT daily driver and I would love to add a roots or twin-screw supercharger.. I really don't want a centrifugal. I just don't want to lose reliability or decrease my engine life..

Thanks!

--------- Random Payments to you FOREVER:

Darren Shady

It will handle either without reliability problems. Just be sure to get a good tune from a qualified and capable tuner.

Reply to
Keith

The more boost, the more risk. What ever problems you have at 6 psi will be increased at 9 psi, and on up.

Here is some stuff I read on the Kenne Bell website recently;

REV LIMITERS NEVER increase engine rpm on supercharged engines. It's higher rpm, that through inertia loading, places greater stresses on the rods, pistons, and crank. (12.5% increase in rpm increases the loads 50%) Think about that one. Let the supercharger and boost work for you. It increases power incrementally at any rpm. Never overrev the engine and hit the rev limiter. On all Kenne Bell kits, the fuel injectors are not ramped but instead shut completely off. The fuel pumps remain on so there's a big fuel pressure spike. Keep supercharger rpm at a minimum by not over-speeding the engine.We don't ever recommend raising the rev limiter. Excessive rpm also causes "overboosting" because of the engine's reduced VE (volumetric efficiency).

THELIMITS The fuel injectors are not the only limiting factor on a stock block 4.6

2V. It's the stock rods and pistons. They simply weren't designed for ultra high horsepower. We recommend H-beam billet rods and forged 8:1 custom forged pistons like the Cobra has chosen. A slightly shorter rod length accompanied by a deeper dish piston that increases swept volume about 10cc would also lower CR a full point allowing 2 more psi boost on a given octane. There are companies who supply "built" short blocks. Check with them on their power ratings.
Reply to
John Shepardson

Rein

Well, of course they are in business to sell their product, Mr. No Spam, but they provide a lot of very useful info. Take a look at

There is info on Octane, the use of traction control, fuel pump tech, and driving techniques on supercharged Mustangs that you won't find anywhere else.

Glad I could help you out.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

hey nice info. Thanks for the link. Sounds like they know what they are talking about. impressive numbers with the supercharger kit I must say. Now I am more likely to order a GT instead of a Cobra :-) Know anyone who installed this stuff himself ?

Rein

Rein

There's quite a few that have the kits installed now. Here's some links to interesting threads:

?s=&threadid=378597
?t=378490

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Yes, I know some one. Me. I ordered the kit and I am going to install it myself. Write me if you want to know whether I put together a barnburner, or grenaded the engine. It will arrive in two weeks.

I may even make a website describing how it went, unless it is too embarrassing.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

THANKS Michael! From your threads, I found an install site at

Just what I was looking for.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

You might find this one useful too:

Let us know how it runs once you get it instslled.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

You are too much. Thanks again.

John