What's the best way to clean the MAF?

My 2003 GT seems to be idling a little rough, fluctuating between 600-800 rpms. Also during strong acceleration above 5000 rpms the check engine light will flash for a minute or so and then disappear. I have a cold air intake with K&N filter, underdrive pulleys, timing adjuster and MAC cat back exhaust. Could my MAF have the oil on it I've heard about and if so what is the best method to clean it.

TIA,

Brad

Reply to
Brad

You might have gotten oil from your K&N on the MAF sensor. You can use electrical contact cleaner on the sensor itself. Be sure it's 100% dry & pretty clean until you try to re-use the sensor. Let us know what happens.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Go to a parts store and buy CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner.

Helmut Roner

1988 GT
Reply to
HELMUT RONER

Rein

You have to be careful about cleaning the MAF, as it has a special coating on it. The wrong cleaner could destroy the coating. First take a close look at it. If it's just oil, then a gentle cleaner like Simple Green will work just fine. If there's carbon build up, then use a cleaner designed for this purpose from Ford.

Reply to
.boB

I always thot the 600-800rpm fluctuation was directly related to the electric fan cycling.

I'd be more inclined to think the check engine light at 5000 rpms is more related to the timing adjuster. Not knowing what the light is indicating where the problem is.

I've run a cold air for over a year on my 02 with no problems and have cleaned and re-oiled it once. (30,000 km on the car atm.)

Reply to
Jafo

Only brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner should be used on a MAF. These will dry without leaving a residue behind. Simple Green isn't something to be sprayed on the MAF elements as it will leave behind a residue after drying. The throttle bodies have a coating and only throttle body cleaner should be used on them.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is. It COULD be the MAF, but then again cars are known to do crazy things & it COULD be anything. I'd have the code read (usually free--especially if you're a regular anywhere) & find out what the exact thing is that is setting it off. Brake cleaner & electrical contact cleaner are both cheap so it couldn't "hurt" (given you use them properly), but I'd still have the code read. Good luck with it though =). Anyway... if it's a 2003 shouldn't it still be under warranty? I'd take it to the dealer. *shrug* good luck!! :D

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

It was the Steeda Timing adjuster. I removed it and everything is perfect. Although I miss the slight bit of horse power, it is a bit noticible especially in the low rpms. But no more rough idle and no more engine light. Before I removed it I tried setting the timing adjuster to zero and that didn't matter, I rechecked the gap and no problems there, reset the computer and still nothing. The engine light was on all day no matter what RPM range and there was a power loss noticible. So now it's gone. I guess I'll have to get a chip if I want that spark back. I did try the electric cleaner on the MAF before I pull the timing adjuster and it didn't make any difference.

Thanks!

Reply to
Brad