Why do people do this?

** Its no wonder people get frustrated with truck drivers.Most of them seem to ** think they own the road. ** ** Andrew

Some Truckers are morons, that's a fact. Unless I can pass another truck in

10 seconds or less, I won't bother. You have to be a complete MORON to try to pass another truck when you have a load on, and most rigs are speed governed at 62 mph. anyway. (this is USUALLY why they don't seem to get around very quickly. Thanks again for that little goodie, Boss Man.)

And any Trucker who even DARE consider passing another truck on a 2-lane road should be jailed, period. I know there are other dumbass Truckers who pull this nonsense, and trust me when I say they probably won't keep their license very long. Dumbassess wash out pretty quickly in this business.

However, when a Trucker simply needs to change lanes to exit a freeway, or needs to make a turn within a city, who kicks on the signals and WAITS for YOU to allow him to slide over, folks, PLEASE give him/her the benefit of the doubt. We're not all assbites who just want to make your life miserable.

Most of us are just trying to get down the road, same as you are.

-JD

________________________________________________________ | | | 1998 Laser Red GT RAMFM Member Since 1997 | | M-5400-A Suspension http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams || Subframe Connectors & Seat Bracing, Strut Tower Brace || 4-point K-frame Brace, Tremec T-45 & OEM 3.27:1 Gears ||________________________________________________________|

Reply to
JD Adams

You have no right to another lane at the expense of someone else's life; you're nothing more than a cheap killer. I guess you'd murder your own mother for that lane, though, wouldn't you?

Of course, you'd go to HER funeral, wouldn't you, punk?

Reply to
doc

I may miss something because I stopped here to answer. Because they don't want the big truck in fornt of *them*. Get behind *me* and block off the next guy but not *me* because I'm in a hurry and my goal is far more important the yours or anyone elses on the road today. This is kind of an educated guess, but I'm pretty sure I'm correct.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

She was DRUNK, And YOU- you MOVED her only point of reference on the road! You rude bass-turd!!

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

No, but lets hope YOU'RE the guy that rushes up and blocks a diagonally moving truck next time...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Hey, I started driving (full time) in 1972, when only the really well-to-do had more than one car in the family. Perhaps my failing memory is hazing over with time, but I seem to recall nothing but open roads and driving just for the sake of driving. Fewer cars, fewer people, and lots of Sunday drivers (which quickly became a derogatory term for slowpokes).

This 4th of July, my wife and I drove down to Havre de Grace, Maryland, just for the hell of it. Beautiful day, all back roads, top down. Took in the local parade, then headed back a different route. Followed some "scenic tour" signs for an hour or so, meandering through the Susquehannah valley. We had a great time.

I could have taken I-95 or Route 1, but neither appealed to me. I just wasn't in the mood to mess with the road warriors.

Wanna know what happened to waving or nodding at your fellow motorists? Watch a church parking lot empty out on a Sunday. These people have just sat through a sermon, but can't wait to cut each other off so they can be first to get out.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Maybe 30% are truly

We've noticed.

Reply to
boB

Well, I hope it did. Their life/limb was not in danger - like mine was. I did not cut him off - like he did to me. He did not have to make an emergency manouver - like I did. But, he learned (I hope) that when he's a rude, obnoxious, dangerous driver somebody just might make him pay for it. There were only 3 of us in that 100 yard stretch of road. The polite and intelligent move would have been to wait another 10 seconds, then make a safe lane change and pass. But no. It's me first, screw you, I'm more important than everyone else. Well, sometimes you have to pay for that attitude. If his momma isn't going to teach him some manners, somebody has to.

Reply to
boB

Who the f*ck are you? I was talking to a big, brave truck driver who thinks that throttling into another lane and causing funerals is AOK.

And then there's you, a wimpy little pissant who can't even pull his diaper up after mommy says to stay away from the big boys.

Listen to mommy from now on.

Reply to
doc

You must be new here.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Here, yeah. Dealing with cowards like WindsorFox, no.

Reply to
doc

Well, I have a little problem with this paragraph, as I have made night runs back and forth between Phoenix and L.A. on I-10 many times over the years. Ain't a damn rig I've ever seen running under 62 mph. If that were the case, they could never pass another one. Most of the time I pace them at 75 to 80, 'cept in known speed traps. And the only way you are going to clear another truck in 10 seconds is if he's doing

55 to your 75. Pulling out, around, and back in from the same lane takes at least 45 seconds or longer.

Sometimes I don't know about you, JD. You seem like a fairly paranoid person.

In any case, I've never had any problems with any truck drivers on the open road. Other posters in this thread mentioned getting cut off when one truck passes another. My opinion is this: if the trucks are already exceeding the speed limit (which they do most of the time by at least a few mph), and a passenger car is jetting along faster than that, said car driver has no right to bitch about being cut off. In facts, all "rights" expire above the posted limit, and you are now on your own with your knack for defensive survival.

The public needs to remind themselves that a majority of the food and products that we purchase daily arrives at our stores via truck. Thus, whether or not the truck driver is a scumbag or true pro, respect is deserved for that reason, and not because we can get flattened out in a collision. After all, there are a lot of better targets for our angst.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

JD,

How do you determine, from your cab, that the driver, in the other car, is purposely trying to hold you in the slow lane? They simply may not have noticed your signal.

It also could be that your wanting in the fast lane will interfer with

*their* plans! And this, sounds like it has all the makings for *road rage*.

Drive safely out there! Arrive alive! Sometimes this means you have to slow down.

Reply to
John

"Rights" have little to do with it (driving isn't a right now is it?). It's a lack of common courtesy and respect that leads to road battles, etc., IMO. Like any other driver, a trucker is typically trying to switch lanes for his own personal reasons. If a trucker decides his personal needs trump the needs of another driver, he is wrong to think so.

Heard this many times, and unusually often from truckers. Nope, doesn't make sense. Almost everyone on the road is trying to get to their job, or perform their function in the system. There would be no food for the trucker to haul if not for the farmer driving to the bank to finance his farm, or the engineer trying to get to work to design trucks.

It's the truckers who should feel lucky, for this reason: 99.9% of all highway wear is caused by truck axles. In fact, in pavement design, the expected lifetime of a given pavement is measured in number of truck axles. We all pay for them, but they transportation industry gets the most benefit.

Truckers deserver respect regardless, because they are human beings. But not because their need of the road is more important than mine.

Reply to
pawn

Used to be, when you saw a big rig on the road you felt pretty safe. These guys were sort of the 'Big Brothers" of drivers. Never did anything stupid, always were watching out for other drivers not matter how crazy the other drivers were. Times changed. I still let them in when they need to change lanes and I never intentionally give them a hard time, but I want to be as far away from them as possible. I have seen big rig drivers do some really bone headed things. Logging truck drivers are the absolute worst. They don't always have the right of way, but they always have the "big" of way, Any confrontation with them is short, and exciting, and seldom goes well for the guy driving the car. You are dead a LONG time.

Reply to
Bill

Someone who has been a regular in this group for about 9 years and who thinks you're a dick and obviously have no clue who you are replying to.

I'm in Baton Rouge. Care to see just how whimpy a pissant I am? Catch me anytime on Sturdays at Miss Goldies Car Show. I predict you are a loudmouthed mammas boy who can make plenty of threats over the Internet, which all of us in this group know is like winning the Special Olympics. Now move along where someone cares about your opinion other than yourself....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

That proves you are new here. Cowardice is provoking over the Internet. Come get me hot shot ROFL!!!

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Had a large box truck just a couple of feet from my rear bumper today. As if intimidating me was any good since I was trapped behind slow drivers. Accelerating away from him didn't prove the point, next time I was trapped he was there on my ass again.

Reply to
Brent P

Sometimes it does when that 'wrong' is mirroring that person's own behavior back at them.

Reply to
Brent P

That's total bullshit. The speed limits are not in any reflective of reality in much of this country. Just because someone is closer to it doesn't give them any moral superiority what so ever. If that were true, anyone driving the legal minimum on the interstates would have the right to cut anyone off they wished.

You don't lose any rights exceeding some number that was pulled out of somebody's ass and plastered on a sign next to the road. If you think that's the case I invite you to drive chicago area expressways like the dan ryan at the posted 45-50mph speed limit. I double dog dare you to do that in anything smaller than a large box truck or semi. Yeah, that's right, a 14 lane interstate with a 45 local / 50 express posted speed limit.

The golden rule IMO is don't make anyone else use the brakes needlessly. Which is really my verison of 'I'll stay out of your way as I would have you stay out of mine'

Yet, we could do long distance freight other ways. It's just that the economically trucking has the advantage right now due to artifically created circumstances of taxes, subsidizes, labor rules, mismanagement,etc.

Reply to
Brent P