Why EFI is Better

Injection Perfection By Karl Brauer

The last 30 years have produced a complete turnover in vehicle technology. Today's automotive components have little in common with their primitive ancestors: drum brakes have been replaced by disc brakes, solid-axle rear suspensions have given way to independent designs, and ignition systems are now electronic rather than mechanical. Yet of all these advances, none are as compelling as the shift from carburetion to fuel injection.

Certainly the use of fuel injection has been around for more than thirty years, but only since the mid-1980s has it became a widespread feature on almost every vehicle sold in America. Driven by a need for cleaner emissions, American car manufacturers were forced to give up the less-expensive carburetor for the more-sophisticated computer-controlled electronic fuel injection, or EFI. As a bonus, they also got better performance and improved fuel economy.

So what is it about EFI that makes it so much better than the simpler, less-expensive and easier-to-work-on carburetor? In a word: precision. Through the use of sensors, injectors and computer control, EFI provides a far more precise air and fuel mixture under a much broader range of operating conditions.

Why EFI is Better

It's obvious that EFI makes for a great technical discussion, but is it that much better than a carburetor? You bet. Remember that while driving your car your engine is in a constant state of change. In addition to the accelerating, braking, coasting or idling that comes with stop-and-go traffic, there's plenty of variation going on when rolling down the interstate with the cruise control set. You may be going up a mountain or descending into a valley. Maybe you're on a flat plane, but the sun has just set and the temperature is dropping.

The point is that only EFI, with its computer-based control module, can effectively keep up with the many changes our vehicles experience on a typical drive. Carburetors are mechanical devices that depend on springs, rods and engine vacuum to modulate fuel delivery. They can't accommodate for variations between individual cylinders, inconsistent octane, or altitude changes. More experienced readers will remember the days when moving between Denver and Los Angeles required a trip to an automotive shop for "rejetting" to keep a car from running too rich or too lean. Today, with the power of fuel injection, engine tuning is a no-brainer when traveling from the Rockies to the beaches. And isn't that the kind of driving experience we want?

351CJ

I'll give a big 10-4 for that!!

Not only that... it's easier to troubleshoot. Even the old EECIV

However, I refuse to get into pissing contests over superiority regarding street/strip applications. If you can find someone who knows how to tune carbs and mech/vacuum advance, fine.

"Take your F#$34g 'power-valve' and...." ;)

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Feel better? What is the point of this copy and paste?

But since you brought it up, suppose you're piecing together a typical restomod '65-'70 289 or 302 Mustang. You're only going to drive it about 5K miles per year, 10K max, for about five years. You're going to keep your stock tranny, i.e., you'll be running a 1:1 top gear, with a 3.25 to 3.55:1 rear gear. You're going to run a hydraulic cam in the range of 220/220 @ .050, 112 LSA, and .500". Your car is emissions exempt.

What induction system is "better," and why?

180 Out
Reply to
one80out

It all comes down to which one gives you that special feeling when you drive you car.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

But only one will work after an EMP.

Reply to
Brent P

hum, how so? All cars with electronic ignition systems or ignition chips are vulnerable to ElectroMagnetic Pulses, not just EFI cars...

Reply to
351CJ

The only fuel system... we were discussing fuel systems. Now points are an ignition system that isn't vunerable.

Reply to
Brent P

There are a lot of cars with carburetors and electronic ignitions, what the hell was your point?

Reply to
351CJ

not my fault you people have no sense of humor.

Reply to
Brent P

After which, we'll have more things to worry about than HOW we'll get to work. Like WTF do we do when we get there...

And all the farmers will get very 'well' hauling around grocery shoppers on wagons.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:37:02 GMT, Backyard Mechanic puked:

And how do we get gas out of the station tanks?

lab~rat >:-)

  1. get garden hose
  2. get idiot
  3. insert one end of garden hose into idiot's mouth
  4. insert other end of garden hose into hole in ground (the one presumably containing gasoline)
  5. tell idiot to suck on hose
  6. when idiot starts sucking gasoline instead of air, kink the hose near the idiot's mouth
  7. pull hose end out of ground, kinking end quickly
  8. put hose end into appropriate container
  9. release kinks in hose
  10. let kink in hose open
  11. repeat previous steps 1 through 10 as often as needed
  12. make idiot go wash mouth out after he throws up

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:39:17 -0600, "Lynn McGuire" puked:

So I take it the EMP won't affect the idiot?

lab~rat >:-)

  1. hope idiot doesn't know that a siphon only works if outlet is at lower elevation than inlet, because if he does he's likely to think the other guy's a bigger idiot than he is
180 Out
Reply to
one80out

SH*T.... You mean to tell me that gravity works????

Reply to
Jim Warman

What siphon ? Do you know how much gasoline a garden hose can hold ? The idiot just provides the suction. The real problem is in getting the garden hose out of the ground and into the container before the idiot lets his end drop and spills all the gasoline on the ground.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn