350z VIN definition?

Does anyone know the breakdown of the VIN numbers for the 350z and what they apply to?

examples:

JN1AZ34E73T117071 JN1AZ34D63T119048 JN1AZ36A84T010422

This is what I know for sure:

1st digit is country 2nd digit is make 3rd digit is vehicle type or manufacturer 9th digit is the checksum 10th digit is the year 11th digit is the assembly plant 12th - 17th digit is production number

It's the 4 through 8 that I'd like to know about:

A Z 3 4 E A Z 3 4 D A Z 3 6 A

If anyone knows, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks, Jeff( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
Jeff

Joseph Wind

Pink elephants with an attitude inspired sboss snipped-for-privacy@free.fr to tell alt.autos.nissan.z-car: : Hello, : I have just taken delivery of mine in France. : VIN number is : JN1GAAZ33U000xxxx : It does not really match what's on Courtesy Part website for Nissan VIN !

: "Jeff" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com a ?crit dans le message de news: : snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com... : > Does anyone know the breakdown of the VIN numbers for the 350z and : > what they apply to? : >

: > JN1AZ34E73T117071 : > JN1AZ34D63T119048 : > JN1AZ36A84T010422

The US style VINs are different from those in e.g. Europe. As far as I know the first 3 digits are the WMI (World Manufacturer Identification). I don't think this is the country in the first digit as e.g. Renault have VF1, GM have WOL. Nissan uses e.g. JN1 (built in Japan), SJN (built in UK) and VSK (built in Spain).

Then follows the VDS (Vehicle Description Sequence or something like that) and the last 6 digits are generally a production sequence number.

In the French case: JN1 = Nissan, built in Japan (I think the Oppama plant if I remember correctly but other plants also use JN1)

GAA = body, engine, 'A'. G probably stands for Coupe, A is just the first type of engine they've put in the car. Other engines would have B, C etc.

Z33 = the model code. You would see N16 for the Almera, V10 for the Tino etc

U0 = default for Euro models. You might see U3 or something like that for models that have gone for many years like the Micra

last 6 digits = production sequence number

Reply to
Perry Rovers

Is the Z36A a convertible? The A suggests that this is the case. For Z34E and Z34D do the E and D repesent the spec like sport and base?

Reply to
Peter Hill