'87 300zx oil pressure unit

Go to replace this unit and find that a 13mm is too small, so I use the 14 on it and round the fitting off(damaged the corners anyway). Try to go at it from the other side by taking the oil filter off (they are side by side, the filter nearer the front). Had no luck either. Decided to take the starter off to get a better shot at it and find that these bolts are also between 13 & 14. Ditto for the clutch cylinder mounting. My guess is that this is either a 13.5 or 17/32 SAE.

I'm no genius mechanic but I do have a pretty full complement of tools and use them daily in my business. Anyone seen anything like this? I've been trying to make a suitable wrench with an old 1/2 open end but a flat file is not the precision machining tool I need for this application.

Help anyone?

Thanks, Dane

P.S. the replacement sending unit (mfg. Niehoff) has a dead nuts 9/16 fitting on it. For those that don't know the unit has threads on one end, followed by the nut fitting then the brass colored cylinder which is approx.

2" in diameter, 2" long (which serves to make it more difficult to get to the nut). The electrical connection is on the other end opposite the threads.
Reply to
Dane Vickery

Follow up- I guess that these bolts are supposed to be 14mm but just are manufactured poorly. I was able to get the starter off finally with a socket but it sure felt like it might slip before they broke loose(one bolt was already rounded a little by the previous owner). After that I was able to get the sender off with vise-grips. Like I wrote earlier the new sender is a tight 9/16 so I won't have so much trouble next time(hopefully I won't be there again in this machine's lifetime) In any event it's all back together and everything is working properly.

Conclusions: Beware of the bolt and nut sizes especially in this area. Recommend to take the starter off 1st before attempting to replace the sender, trust me. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Now on to find out why I have a rough idle for a few minutes on a cold startup.

Dane

Reply to
Dane Vickery

most times the OPS gets stuck, if you know that you are going to replace it most times you will have to destroy the original one.

When the get stuck for me I just take a big pair of channel lock pliers and grip the body of it to break it loose

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks NissTech, I tried the big plier method but it just slipped at the crimp. I had high hopes at the time but after several revolutions, realized it wasn't actually unscrewing. Part of my problem was I think that the previous owner (existing problem when I bought it in May) had been there before me and butchered it.

best regards, Dane

Reply to
DM