Check AFM?

The only valid way to test is replace with a known good unit. If it doesn't rev over 2200 RPM, it's the AF meter. Replaced hundreds of them for this problem and the AIV valve is what trashes them. It's the silver valve on the drivers fender near the AF meter. Again reading the codes is a waste of time and money. It's going to tell you the crank angle sensor is bad and that isn't what's wrong.

That's about half what a dealer one costs.

Reply to
Steve T

Someone said there was a way. 1985zx non turbo.

Reply to
talkbanana2000

OK Steve. Thanks for getting back. Beginning to see the light. If I disconnect AIV and plug, it sounds like it will prevent future probs? Thanks for extra info on AIV.

John

Reply to
talkbanana2000

I will have to check more closely. The "silver" things I noticed was a small cylindrical part with 3 tubes or wires coming out with one leading to a square part that's about 3 inches square. It must be one of these 2?

Thanks, John

Reply to
talkbanana2000

Steve, these posts are slow to post, but I wanted to tell you , I'm seeing more of your info you gave to others on this subject in my "search" on this site. These are explaining in much more detail. Thanks.

Reply to
talkbanana2000

OK Steve, 10 inches behind(towards back of car) is a small tube that goes into large metal cylindrical tube(that AFM attaches to) that came from the small "silver" cylinder part. Can I pull this off and plug (also plugging where it came off? In the meantime I'll get a price on aA AIV valve. Thanks again.

Reply to
talkbanana2000

Ok Steve. Dealer cost on AIV valve is $200. As I asked on other post, can I plug this? My local parts store finds no reference to AIV valve, can't find on internet, and even the dealer took a while to get back on this part. I'm all ready to do job, except for this little important detail.

John

Reply to
talkbanana2000

As long as you block the exaust from dumping in -front- of the AF meter through this bad valve, it's not going to ruin another meter. Whether it will pass an emissions test is another story.

Reply to
Steve T