Running 20W 50 Castrol Oil in my 350-z

My oil pressure is pretty high. Almost to the end of the gauge. Is that where it's supposed to be?

Reply to
nelson family

don't listen to people trying to insult you when you ask for help.

that is not normal. just go to your dealer. should cost 40 bucks. maybe 80 no more than that. they will take all that out. and replenish.

cool?

peace.

Reply to
KINGLIFER

Do you mean 5/20? That is what the manual calls for but to answer your question NO the gauge should never be that high and I would have it checked ASAP!

Ny

Reply to
Nunya

What did you do? Change the oil? Must be an idiot. You're going to blow the engine. The oil in that car should be thin like water.

Reply to
Jerry Winters

I hope you live in Death Valley. 20/50 is a pretty viscose (thick) oil. I used it in my air cooled motorcycle during the summer months. In the cold morning it is like mud. That is why your gauge is so high. Your gauge should come down a bit once the engine is hot.

I'm pretty sure the manual does not call for it. Should you burn your motor up with it in there, your warranty will be voided. It's not worth the risk.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

get that 20w50 oil out of the engine NOW !!!

you should be using 5 or 10w30

Reply to
NissTech
Reply to
invalid unparseable

Used to use 20/50 in my 64 XKE years ago and a 454 Vette in the 60s. Use

5/30 in my 01 Prelude. Most of the new engines have very close tolerances and require anything from 5/20 to 5/30. You will likely ruin the engine, if you have not already.
Reply to
twaugh5
<Most of the new engines have very close tolerances

Nonsense. The manufacturers recommend 5W oil in the manual, because they know that this "water thin" oil will torture your car's engine, but will still enable the motor to last just long enough to to void your parts warranty before the engine blows. In other words, they are counting on you having to pay for a new factory motor so they can make some extra bucks down the road.

My 1989 Camaro manual also recommends 5W 30, but I don't think it would do the engine much good seeing that the oil pressure at that viscosity barely moves the needle on the oil gauge!

Reply to
The Expert

The 5W refers to the viscosity of the oil when cold during the winter. You will do more damage with 20W/50 once winter weather sets in do to the time it takes for the oil to flow. I have a 1993 300zx with 150,000 miles running

5W/30 oil.

Reply to
Levance