'02 Pathfinder bottom engine cover

Hey folks,

I apologize if this has been asked, I did a search and didn't find anything, so here goes...

I've got a 2002 Pathfinder in need of a bottom engine cover. That's the plastic doo-hickey under the engine that you have to take off to get to the oil filter. The local dealership wants a mint for one and if I'm going to pay that much I'd rather get a metal one so I don't have to buy one every time it snows (deep snow cracked my original). Any idea if there exists a supplier with an after-market bottom engine cover, preferably metal?

Thanks a ton,

-Will

Reply to
Will Trice

on 5/23/2007 11:56 AM Will Trice said the following:

What is its purpose, other than to discourage owners from doing their own oil changes?

Reply to
willshak

Presumably it protects the engine from debris bouncing up from the road, like a gravel pan. The cover roughly covers the area from the radiator to the front axle between the front wheels. It does make changing the oil significantly more of a pain-in-the-assets.

-Will

Reply to
Will Trice

I bought a beautiful one for my 2003 QX4 on E-Bay. 1/4" Aluminum. Because of its design, It allows me to change the filter without its removal. The 2003 QX4 might fit yours or they might have one for your Pathfinder.

Norm

Reply to
NSN

on 5/24/2007 7:04 PM Will Trice said the following:

Sounds like a good candidate for a recall if deep snow can break it.

Reply to
willshak

on 5/25/2007 8:54 AM NSN said the following:

Can you give the OP the link to the seller, or what wording you used to search for it?

Reply to
willshak

Is the standard cover for the QX4 aluminum, or was this an aftermarket part (I guess it could have been aftermarket even if it was plastic...). Was 2003 the year of the big redesign (where the Pathfinder became the Armada)? If not, I bet a 2003 part would fit my 2002, and I bet the Pathfinder and QX4 parts are identical.

As Bill suggested, can you give me a hint as to what you searched on to find this beautiful cover?

Thanks!

-Will

Reply to
Will Trice

Will

The original cover was cheap plastic as was yours. I did not save it thinking it was worthless for protection. When my QX4 was new I wanted to see what accessories were available for it on E-bay. All I did was search under "QX4". I know I did not use any keywords for the cover because I had no idea that a replacement was available. I would think that "2002 Pathfinder" should reveal any and all accessories for your car. "Pathfinder" might be better but you may end up with too many items.

Norm

Norm

Reply to
NSN

Check out the various offerings from Automotive Customizers (4x4parts.com). Look under the Armor category. Regards, DS

Reply to
DS

Thanks! It looks like they have one. I wasn't able to find anything on eBay.

-Will

Reply to
Will Trice

Minor nuisance for oil changes. It takes me maybe two minutes to get mine off, and three to get it on.. The off happens while the last oil is draining, and the on happens while the new oil jug is draining into the engine. Net: no time.

so here goes...

plastic doo-hickey under the engine that you have to

and if I'm going to pay that much I'd rather get a

my original). Any idea if there exists a supplier

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

on 5/30/2007 10:55 PM Chuck Tribolet said the following:

It's not time that discourages the taking of it off. Some people don't like to take things apart to do minor maintenance. Case in point: I dropped a wrench down in front of my 97 pickup engine. It didn't drop out onto the ground and I couldn't find it anywhere hanging up on something. I decided that it had fallen onto the steel rock shield that protects the engine front when off road. I couldn't get a hand up over the top to feel for it, so decided to take it off. 5 -

10mm bolts held it on. I snapped the heads off 3 of them. Result: The shield sits on my garage floor until I can drill out the broken bolts and re-tap the threads.

so here goes...

plastic doo-hickey under the engine that you have to

one and if I'm going to pay that much I'd rather get a

my original). Any idea if there exists a supplier

Reply to
willshak

That sucks. I always spray some rust-eater on those bolts before I even begin to remove the shield. But I don't have to remove the shield on my 95 to change the oil. DS

Reply to
DS

on 5/31/2007 10:26 AM DS said the following:

I use Liquid Wrench on every bolt or nut I have to remove, and wait a good while before picking up a wrench. I don't have to unscrew any shield to change the filter other than the rubber wheel well splash guard which is held on with plastic pop-outs.

Reply to
willshak