'04 Pathfinder - airlift ??

I have a new 2004 Pathfinder. I'd like to install airlift bags in the rear coils to help support the tongue load of my 4500 lb boat & trailer. Inside the OE coil springs are black plastic looking conical cylinders, I assume to assist the coil action under severe loads. Can they be removed to allow the installation of the airlift airbags?

Has anybody installed airlift airbags in a late model Pathfinder?

Thanks in advance, ...cb

Reply to
cb

John Smith

I have Airlifts on my '02 PF. The bumpers need to come out. You don't need to add anything. The bumpers fit inside the coils, not under them. Mine haven't squeaked in two years. I drive with the bags at around 3 psi, except when loaded (the car, that is!).

The tongue weight on my trailer is about 350# and the airlifts work very well.

Reply to
nfisherman

What brand airlifts do you use? Do you also use an on board air compressor?

Reply to
ppointer

I use Airlift brand bags:

I have the onboard compressor. It's been a while but I think that I bought them online from Central 4wd.

Reply to
nfisherman

Thanks. Remember how long it took to install?

Reply to
ppointer

I didn't do it myself. I have a friend who is a mechanic. I had him do it because I wasn't comfortable detaching the springs from the axle myself. I think that he said it took him about 3 hours for the bag and compressor installation.

Reply to
nfisherman

Thanks. I'll probably put a set on my QX4 prior to the spring.

Reply to
ppointer