1993 Maxima Speedometer Innacuracy

BlankI'm having trouble with the accuracy of the speedometer. I have a portable GPS that indicates that at speeds above 55mph the Maxima's begins to error. At 55mph the GPS reads 55. At 85mph the GPS shows 80. I have a

2004 Quest and the GPS tracks the van's speedo all the way through 80 (and beyond).

I do have the occasional problem where the speedo quits working. I found posts that pointed to the speed sensor just by the oil filter. It seems to work its way loose and a small tap on it with a floor jack handle reseats it and it begins working again.

At this point I'm suspecting the speed sensor. Anyone else had issues like this? I've also seen this on a 1994 Pathfinder (automatic), though the speedo never quit.

thanks.......

Reply to
<carllangford

Check that the tires are the same size as the ones that came on the car. If the circumference of the tires is different than what the car was intended to use, error is introduced in the speedometer (and odometer).

Reply to
E Meyer

The tires are and always have been factory size. Again, at speeds above

55MPH the maxima's speedo begins to drift away from the speed indicated by the GPS. The GPS has the latest firmware and does match the speed indicated in the Quest.

Reply to
cgl

Its possible that the speedometer reads high by design. I recently timed my '96 I30 and my '91 240sx with the cruise set at 70 MPH and a stopwatch through 5 miles of mile markers on the interstate. The speedometers on both read fast compared to the time it took to travel 5 miles. The i30 was off by 3 mph & the 240sx by 5. We then put new tires on the 240sx, using a size that was an original equipment option on that car (its the next bigger size from the standard OEM tires) and repeated the experiment. It now reads 3 mph fast at 70mph on the same stretch. I conclude from this small sample of

3 Nissans from that time period that error was intentionally built into the speedometers.

Reply to
E Meyer