3.5 L cutting out at 2500 rpm?

Hey All, my altima is cutting out at 2500rpm. not shutting off but jerky like a bad clutch driver. is this a sensor or something? thanks for any help, K

Reply to
K & S Morton

Sounds like "limp home mode". Do you have a check engine light to go with it?

Reply to
E. Meyer

Reply to
K & S Morton

There's a dance you can do on most of the Nissans to read out the codes without a reader. Note that the codes are different numbers than the ones that come out on scanners, but mean the same things. I know it works on both my '02 Pathfinder and my '08 Altima, so you might be in luck. You need a watch with a second hand or a stop watch because the timing has to be relatively precise (I either use the timer on my cell phone or the timer app on my Ipod Touch). Here's the sequence:

The number of blinks of the MIL in the Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-Diagnostic Results) indicates the DTC. Example: 0340, 0850, 1148, etc. These DTCs are controlled by NISSAN.

HOW TO SET DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE II (SELF-DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS)

  1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
  2. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.

- Fully depress the accelerator pedal.

- Fully release the accelerator pedal.

  1. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the MIL starts blinking. NOTE: Do not release the accelerator pedal for 10 seconds if MIL may start blinking on the halfway of this
10 seconds. This blinking is displaying SRT status and is continued for another 10 seconds.
  1. Fully release the accelerator pedal. ECM has entered to Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results). NOTE: Wait until the same DTC (or 1st trip DTC) appears to confirm all DTCs certainly.

HOW TO ERASE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE II (SELF-DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS)

  1. Set ECM in Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic results). Refer to ³How to Set Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic Results)².
  2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds. The emission-related diagnostic information has been erased from the backup memory in the ECM.
  3. Fully release the accelerator pedal, and confirm the DTC 0000 is displayed. How to Erase Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic Results) The DTC can be erased from the back up memory in the ECM by depressing accelerator pedal. Refer to ³How to Erase Diagnostic Test Mode II (Self-diagnostic Results)² ? If the battery is disconnected, the DTC will be lost from the backup memory within 24 hours. ? Be careful not to erase the stored memory before starting trouble diagnoses.

If you get anyth> yes, the service engine light was on for a week, then it went out and this

Reply to
E. Meyer

Wacky, but today the engine runs perfectly. i noticed on the way to work yesterday. surpasses 2500rpm, no issues. thanks for the help, but the "limp home mode" must have reset itself because i did nothing. the car gods are smiling on me today :)

Reply to
K & S Morton

The problems that light the engine light are re-evaluated every time you drive the car. After a certain number of times it senses the same conditions that caused the problem without the problem being present (IIRC

8) it will drop its complaint.

If it happens again, you have the sequence now to get the code and reset it.

Good luck.

Reply to
E. Meyer