3rd Gen Stereo replacement

My 90 GXE's stereo (non-Bose) is finally toast. Speaker cone gaskets are gone, rt. rear speaker doesn't work, the head unit won't store presets, everything sounds like poop, etc. So I'm planning to just tear out all 4 speakers, amps and head unit and go in with after-market stuff.

I've been looking at lower end stuff- not trying to blow out the neighbors windows or my checking account, just a nice, average classic rock-era system! How are Kenwood, Jenson, Clarion and BossAudio headunits? I want am/fm, cd,cdr,cdrw,mp3 capability and detach'l face. These decks put out somewhere ~22watts rms. My old home unit puts out 25wrms and it can get pretty loud before it distorts.

Speakers: I'm looking at lower end Pioneer, Kenwood, Bazooka & Alpine 4x6 front and 6x9 rears.

I have the non-Bose system and I know the rear amp is not useable so it's coming out.

Are there any speaker and head unit mounting issues? How about hooking up to the power antenna?

Thanks!

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H

presets,

I put a Pioneer AM, FM, CD head unit in my boat. It's XM capable, but I haven't bought the XM module. I've had no trouble playing CD-Rs in it. I got it at Best Buy for $150. It puts out 50 watts x 4 (peak, I assume). It sounds great for my purposes and the FM tuner is pretty sensitive. The stereo was simple to install and it has lasted 4 years, so far, on a boat, so it must be durable.

Reply to
brianmartin61

Kenwood has a wide range of stuff to fit the Max (single DIN or double DIN) but IMO they are very complicated to operate, especially while driving. Almost too many features. All must be programmed in. Ex: no knobs for bass/treble instead several layers of button pushing to get to those settings. Plus several ways to identify what track you are playing, etc. None of which I need. My current Max came with a high end Kenwood flip face mask CD AM FM head and very expensive speakers, amp and sub. But the Kenwood AM and FM tuners are very unimpressive, and I listen to the radio alot. Plays CDs great with many options for settings etc. So far I have removed the sub and the trunk CD changer, and head unit is next. Other than stock, Kenwood is the only one I have experience with, so this is all I can tell you. I was thinking of getting a stock tri-mode unit (non-Bose), or something from another vehicle like Mazda, but the radio guys don't seem to think the latter is a good idea. I'd be interested in what you learn and eventually decide. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

gaskets are

presets,

rock-era

Alpine 4x6

Reply to
BeeP

Oops, just noticed the rear spkrs are 6.5"dia rounds instead of 6x9. Bummer.

Bob, thanks for the info on Kenwood. I can appreciate simplicity in operating the controls. I don't need a to have a wreck trying to fiddle with da buttons. I'll keep looking.

Chris

Reply to
Chris H