4WD Frontier

I test drove a 1999 4WD Frontier today and had it checked out by the dealer mechanic I trust. I knew that part of the rear differential had been replaced because the guy that had the truck told me there was a "whine" in the rear end and the truck is still under warranty, so he had it fixed.

While still "checking out the truck", I tried the 4WD and it literally hopped across the parking lot. The mechanic had not tried the 4WD; he said there is never a problem with this system. He drove the truck and immediatley told me there was a ratio problem. I need to say this is the same dealer who had repaired the truck and the mechanic that had done the repair is a young protege of the man I trust. Apparently, the part he replaced did not have the same gear ration as the front differential.

My question is this. Is anyone familiar with this problem. Why would Nissan have two seperate ratios? The dealer has acknowledged the problem and is looking to fix it. Would anyone else be leary of this problem? This truck is sharp and I don't want to miss out, but don't want to be stupid either!

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Wild Bill