Hard shifting Pathfinder MT

I finally found a pre-'96 Pathfinder today. It's at a local used car dealer. '92 4x4 XE with a 5-speed and 140k. It's not in bad shape, but they want more than it's worth. I'm considering trying to talk some sense into them tomorrow morning.

The problem that concerns me most...it's sometimes very hard to get into gear. The clutch engages pretty low, so I think it's good, although I suspect the master or slave cylinder. Maybe it just needs to be bled. Once I'm rolling, it's better, but it doesn't slip into gear quite as easily as my old '87 PU with the 4 cylinder. When I'm at a stop, sometimes it's easy, and sometimes it's hard. The dealer said he had the same problem with it, and when he pumped the clutch, it helped.

What are first thoughts on the diagnosis? Should I steer clear? They're asking just under $3500, and I'm going to point them to Edmunds.com's pricing of $2,519 in average condition, which it is. Some minor rust, and a few mechanical problems, including this one.

Pre-'96 Pathfinders are very rare around here, and I would really like to get one.

Thanks in advance.

Aaron '88 MR2 NA '87 528e '70 Beetle project

Reply to
Aaron and Aimee Ness

Someone needs to talk some sense into you.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

If it's $2519 in average condition, it's worth about $1500 with clutch trouble. That's assuming it's only a clutch problem, not a tranny issue. If the dealer thinks the work is not worth that much, tell him to have it repaired and you'll test drive it again. Otherwise, don't buy it until you have a Nissan mechanic look it over.

Reply to
Bob

"Aaron and Aimee Ness" wrote in news:Tlmic.71$ snipped-for-privacy@eagle.america.net:

You'll need to know whether or not it has had all the exhaust manifold studs replaced by the proper Nissan replacement studs.

My 92PF 4x4 SE 5-speed with 165,000 kilometers is in quite good condition, and is probably worth about $8,000 - $10,000 Canadian dollars here in Vancouver.

Reply to
Dave Patton