91 Pathfinder - can't get ignition key out!

Hi - We have a 91 Pathfinder, 4WD, 260k miles on it. Just recently, it's been hard to get the ignition key out. Tonight, can't get it out at all... Can the shift linkage cause this (nned an adjustment?), or would this be the ignition lock? The button won't push in to release the key. Thanks - Brian

Reply to
Brian Morgan

It's probably electrically controlled, most are, not "an adjustment".

It's the auto trans shift interlock, I'm assuming it's an automatic? Ussually there is an electric solinoid on the ign switch you can just remove and it works "normal" i.e. not in -protecting dumb asses from themselves- mode.

Reply to
Steve T

Try wiggling the steering wheel. My '87 PF used to like to hang on to the key if the wheels were trying to turn the steering wheel.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

I have a '91 with a manual transmission and that occasionally happens with mine.

-- Andrew Chaplin SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO (If you're going to e-mail me, you'll have to get "yourfinger." out.)

Reply to
Andrew Chaplin

I just bought a '92, and the owner's manual says something about the plate that covers the ignition...I didn't read it in detail, but I think it said something about an emergency release under that plate, if you remove it. It also said you can have problems if you have low battery voltage.

Mine doesn't seem to give trouble removing the key, but it can be just a little tricky to turn the ignition once you insert the key. Not really any different than my old '87 PU, though.

Aaron '92 Pathfinder '87 528e '82 MR2 NA '70 Beetle project

Reply to
Aaron and Aimee Ness