94 pathy radio problem

my 94 pathfinder's radio seems to have a really bad signal range, stations that came in great in my other vehicles, even local stations, come in really bad or intermitently in my pathfinder, any ideas? will an aftermarket antanae signal booster help?

Reply to
Shawn

Most likely not. Try making up a ground strap (length of say 12 gauge wire or so with a wire eyelet on each end) and place one end under one of the 2 bolts (or nuts, it's too late to run out and look, LOL) on the hood hinge bracket near the antenna (be sure to put it on the hood side of things, not the firewall mounting point) and then bolt the other end of the strap to a decent grounding point on the firewall. Be sure to scuff the areas a bit to allow for good `grounding' at each end.

What you're doing is in a sense `grounding' (there's another term for it and I forget it) the hood to the rest of the vehicle. It has something to do with the reception believe it or not. There was a bulletin years ago about this on the Pathfinders when I worked at Nissan. Sorry but I don't have that one either. :-( At least I remembered the fix. ;-)

Wil

Reply to
Truck

Reply to
Shawn

well I went out today and added a ground wire as suggested and it seemed to help a little bit but the stations I listen to still dont come in as well as when Im in other vehicles....any other suggestions would be great. Thanks, Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

A couple of obvious suggestions...

Is the antenna fully plugged into the radio?

Is the antenna cable bad? You can check with an ohmmeter for continuity from the antenna itself to the plug. Check also to be sure you don't have a short between antenna and ground.

Is you antenna extending? My '94 pathfinder has an electric antenna that goes up when the radio is on. Is yours going up?

Anyway, my radio seems to work pretty good. I've had to fix it a few times, but never because of weak signal. I had the display go out, the amplifier fail and the CD player lock up. I do own a copy of the service manual.

Marko

Reply to
Marko

Reply to
Shawn

Sorry to hear the wire didn't do the complete fix. Let us know how you make out with the booster thing (and if it works that well, which make/model # you get, and where).

Wil

Reply to
Truck