95 pathfinder spare tire mount kit?

Does anyone know the best place to find a kit so that I can mount the spare on the back of the truck instead of the inside?

Reply to
easynews

Junkyard?

Reply to
Jim

I think you only hope on this one is to look in a salvage yard. I have a

95 Pathfinder XE and the spare tire mounts on the swing gate that is mounted on the right had side of the truck. I'm not aware of any "kit" that you could use to mount the spare tire outside the vehicle. The good news is the swing gate was used for a number of years on the Pathfinders. I believe the last year was 95.

Regards,

-- Matt Costanza Austin, Tx USA

Reply to
Matt Costanza

Thanks... Thats exactly what I was thinking.

Is anyone aware if there are any body/structure differences between the pathfinder that didn't have it originally versus ones that did? Like, is the hatchback reinforced in some way?

Reply to
easynews

If I remember correctly, there are two main mounting points -- one is the rear quarter on the passenger side, and the other is the bumper. I don't remember anything attaching to the hatch.

Reply to
ppointer

"easynews" wrote in news:sazBc.17983807$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

My 92 PF SE has the rear tire carrier. To put it onto a PF that didn't have it originally would require:

- holes through the body below the hatch, and threaded mounting points, for the tire carrier latch(near the driver's side taillights)

- holes through the body below the hatch, and threaded mounting points, for the "support block"(halfway along the tire carrier)

- holes through the body above and below, and just in fron of, the passenger side taillights, and threaded mounting points, for the tire carrier hinge blocks No idea if any of the mounting hardware is included "inside" the body of models that came without the tire carrier.

Reply to
Dave Patton

I have a '93 XE that came without the rear swing away carrier. I found a factory swing away tire mount at a bone-yard here in Denver for $150 complete. There ARE 4 nuts welded to the inside of the panel directly below the liftgate, and they should have punch marks visible on the outside. Unfortunately, the 8 corner bolts are a different story. You will need to accurately mark the locations, drill through the panel, then somehow get some large fender washers (the bigger, the better...within reason) and some locking nuts threaded from the inside. This will require the removal of the interior panels, taillight assembly, and lots of patience. Don't forget to treat the freshly drilled metal with a rust inhibitor!

-Craig

Reply to
craig dorroh

Thanks everyone... Seems like I might have to talk my wife into living with the tire in back.

Has anyone tried mounting it underneather or elsewhere? I hate the thought of her not having a spare tire within easy reach.

Reply to
hifidigital

In message , hifidigital writes

Don't most women carry these naturally around their midriffs?

Reply to
Clive

"easynews" wrote in news:pxmBc.6993697$ snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

I just watched a show on TV that might have an idea. They were doing some mods to a Jeep, but the same sort of idea may work for a Pathfinder, but it may not be cheap, although you could perhaps have something fabricated.

They replaced the Jeep's stock bumpers with new ones from Warn. The rear bumper had a receiver, but also a "pivot pin" on the drivers side for mounting a swing-away rear tire gate. I assume the installed gate they showed later in the show came from Warn.

Reply to
Dave Patton