95 Pathfinder XE

Lately I've been having problems with shifting. I have an automatic. When it shifts into 4th (I think) the rpms go to almost 4k. If I let off the gas it will shift. This also happens when I'm going about 40 or so. It's done that for about 5 months, but getting to 30 just started. I really don't want to think the tranny is bad. I have checked the fluid and it's a decent color, not burnt. I also smell a rotten egg smell from the exhaust. I've had the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced but the smell is still there. This leads me to think that the catalytic converter is plugged. I also don't have much power. Any help greatly appreciated.

This weekend I'm gonna take down the pan and replace the fluid and filter to see if that helps.

Reply to
Dana Hoffman

The rotten egg smell is related to the gas in your tank. Try switching stations on your next fillup. Power loss could be attributed to:

-dirty air filter

-dirty fuel filter

-old spark plugs

-old spark plug wires

-cap and rotor

I'd check all these first. But you definitely need to get your tranny looked at. I've never owned an automatic before (ever) so I don't have experience with your symptoms.

DS

Reply to
DS

It sounds like your transmission is failing. The rotten egg smell is likely from a mixture problem. Is your "check engine" light on? Does your "OD off" light flash when you start the car?

Reply to
JimV

Nope, no lights flash at all. Check engine light isn't on either. OD is on all times. I checked that first but it wasn't the problem.

JimV wrote:

Reply to
Dana Hoffman

I am also thinking it could be the transmission speed sensor. After looking at reviews that's a part that goes bad. Would that be something easy to change without lowering the tranny?

Reply to
Dirtblack