95 vs 98 Maximas

(sorry, meant to xpost this from a.a.n.m)

Hello, Thanks to all who responded to my "longevity" question.

I'm looking at a 98 GXE with 90000 miles, but it's a bit more than I want to spend ($8000 before any haggling).

A 95 model would be closer to my price range.

Assuming that I can find a 95 with *decent* milage, is there any reason NOT to get one?

What might the pros and cons of either model year be?

TIA

noneyabusiness
90K-mile unit for $8000 AMERICAN DOLLARS (not canadian)? The seller is insane (or did costly modifications to original car).

It's 2005 wake up, I paid $1,900 for a 10-year old car with 130K miles long time ago, extrapolatiing I would pay $5,000 for something with a whopping

90K miles on it, Nissan is good but not a jaguar or Mazeratti to pay 8000 dollars for something that will turn into junk in 50K miles from now
Reply to
Mark Levitski

$8000 US is in the ballpark for a 98 from a dealer.

I too can reminisce about car prices: In 1990 I payed $5000 for a 1985 Toyota Pickup. Now $5000 gets you not a 5 year old car but a TEN year old car. If you're lucky :(

And you are the first to claim that a maxima will become "junk" at

140000 miles. (YES, some will, others might and a few will run forever.)

... (wide awake, but don't want to be!)

Reply to
noneyabusiness

Maxima's really hold their value. $8K for a clean '98 with 90K is about right.

Reply to
JimV

It's "paid" and not"payed", learn spelling. As of prices, i buy from individual s and desperate ones who need money ASAP, and I always find amazing deals, same for computer/electoctronic parts so when my boss parts he is asking me to find. Would never pay $8K for something that approaches 100K miles, too much.... better deals exist, even Ebay sometimes offers if you can physically visit the seller and see car

Reply to
Mark Levitski

As of prices, i buy from individual s and desperate ones who need money ASAP, and I always find amazing deals, same for computer/electoctronic parts so when my boss parts he is asking me to find. Would never pay $8K for something that approaches 100K miles, too much.... better deals exist, even Ebay sometimes offers if you can physically visit the seller and see car

Reply to
Mark Levitski

Also you say paid in 1990, whereas my reference point is from 2001: your

15-year old reference versus my 4 year old. Inflation in 15 years is indeed huge (though comparing to rest of the world USA is very lucky not to have like 3000% inflation), but in 4 years it's not terribly high and I still extrapolate the money spent ($1800) would be 2000-2100 today).

And still $8000 is too much, i sell everything after 60K

Reply to
Mark Levitski

meant after 60k miles

Reply to
Mark Levitski

Gee, thanks for the grammar lesson... ...here's one for you: "...learn HOW TO SPELL", not "learn spelling". Also, it's "electronic" not "electoctronic". (punk)

I don't have the luxury of waiting for a desperate sell to come along.

noneyabusiness

Gawd, you really are a troll. It was just a (REAL LIFE) example.

noneyabusiness