96 pathfinder gas gauge

My gas gauge keeps going up and down like it relativly quickly. One second it falls at about 1/8 a second and then it will come back up to where it should be. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Thanks

Reply to
Root

Does it act the same no matter how much gas is in the tank or only in a certain range?

Reply to
Jim

"Root" wrote in news:3sZzc.3845$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

If it's the same as a 92PF, there is a voltage regulator behind (on the backside of) the instrument cluster. It controls both the fuel gauge and temp gauge. If neither are working it's a likely candidate. I've had it just affect the fuel gauge. In my case, the fluctuations weren't "quick", but there were times when it would show near full, then move to near empty within the space of a few minutes. It's not hard to replace the voltage regulator yourself - I've done it a few times on my

92PF.
Reply to
Dave Patton

Yup

Reply to
Root

I will look into that. Temp gauge works fine. But it is with in a minute or two it can go from near full to empty then start back.

Reply to
Root

it has a voltage drop problem from the fuel level sending unit

probably a bad sending unit

Reply to
NissTech