97 Altima parking brake light

The PBL is on dimly with the brake off and brighter when the brake is applied. I'd like to examine the switch connections but my Haynes manual does not state where this switch is. Can someone help with the location?

Reply to
bobdino

Brake light should turn on with just one click pull of parking brake; other wise light should be off. The mechanical swtich is at the center, just below the parking brake handle. You can adjust the metal tab. Just remove the cover and you will see the swtich and nut and screw to adjust parking brake.

It looks like you do not have a switch problem.

bobd> The PBL is on dimly with the brake off and brighter when the brake is

Reply to
suren

You were absolutely right. There were 2 lamps on--the Parking brake light and the battery lamp. I was chasing them as separate problems. When the alternator was replaced both lamps returned to normal operation. Thank you for your assistance.

Perhaps you have an insight to my problem with the automatic transmission. Erratic shifting is maybe the best catch-all phrase to use. On a normal acceleration from a stop light, the engine may rev up to 4k rpm and no shift occurs. A slight release of the accelerator will allow a change of gears. Fluid has been flushed and changed. Manual gear change does not work either. No hesitation or bucking after shift has occurred. Overdrive and Cruise Control operate fine.

Reply to
bobdino