97 pick-up 0510 code - two errors??

I have a 97 pickup with the 2.4l engine.

Last week I had my check engine light come on and the exaust now smells of sulphur (eggs).

I had the code read today and it is 0510. The code reader displayed it to be Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

This list suggests that it might be the rear O2 sensor

I have a long trip to take in a week and not much cash to throw at this. I don't mind replacing one or the other, but I really don't want to replace both just for good measure.

So anyone out there an authority? Which part is bad?

I can follow instructions quite well if anyone can lend a hand here. I don't have a service manual unfortunatly.

Thanks!

-denis

Reply to
XyZzy

I have a 97 pickup with the 2.4L also. An OBDII code reader code of P0510 is a throttle position sensor. A Nissan flashing MIL code of 0510 (5 long flashes, 10 short flashes) is the rear O2 sensor. So what to replace depends on which code 0510 you are referring to. Changing the TPS is easy. Remove the air cleaner and you will find the TPS mounted on the front of the throttle body. It is held on by 2 screws. I got mine at Auto Zone 2 years ago for about $45.

Reply to
Truckdude

Awesome. The code was displayed in the OBD II scanner that the Auto Zone employee used.

I will grab a TPS tomorrow and give it a go.

I saw in an earlier thread that there was a specified method for installing the sensor. Then in the next post it discounted that method.

What is the correct way to put one on?

-denis

Reply to
XyZzy

Correct? Here is what worked for me 2 years ago:

  1. remove air cleaner
  2. unplug TPS
  3. remove 2 screws securing TPS
  4. pull off TPS
  5. put new TPS on
  6. secure with 2 screws removed in step #3
  7. plug in new TPS
  8. replace air cleaner
  9. reset computer (or wait for 50 start-ups for "check engine" light to go out)
Reply to
Truckdude