98 Altima SE trans noise

Hi all,

I just test drove a 98 Altima SE with 116,000 kms on it. It seems to work well, but the manual transmission has a noise to it when the clutch is out that I think is a bad sign. In neutral, with the car stopped, you can hear it in and outside of the car. It sounds like gear noise to me. It's not really a whine, but more of a threshing sound. It stops when I put the clutch in. I had no problems shifting it at all, and aside from a heavier clutch pedal, it may even shift a bit more easily than my 94.

I'm tempted by the car, but obviously I'd want to know for sure what the story is on the transmission first. I'll probably take it to a transmission shop, or the dealer if they have time, and get their opinion, but I wanted to hear anyone's (Nisstech? you out there?) thoughts on the group as well.

Also, they want $8900 or so for it. I'm not sure if that's more or less the going price for such a car, but I suspect they've got it a bit lower than what a 98 with that few kms on it would be selling for normally... maybe due to the transmission.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts...

Reply to
JM

The bearings are probably wasted..

Don't waste their time and your's, if it makes noise with the clutch out and goes away when in, it's the bearings/gears in the tranny.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
NissTech

Ok, I'll steer clear of this one I guess, thanks guys for the replies. More hunting would seem to be in order...

Reply to
JM

Unless you can talk them down enough to replace the tranny.

Reply to
Steve T

Sounds like tranny bearings. I'd pass it up unless you plan of fixing the problem soon.

Reply to
Meat-->Plow