4.0 se or 4.6 HSE ??

Hi all ,

Need some advice .......... IM considering buying a '96/'98 Range Rover what would be the best choice ? The 4.0 se or the 4.6 HSE ? I've noticed that there is not to much difference in asking price ... Is the 4.6 HSE the smoother car or is it all the same ?? Furthermore I've noticed that (quite) some RR's (the4.6) have had their engine changed around the 120K km is this common ? iow could this be a problem ??

Please help TIA

Ron

p.s. some tips to give /give special attention when buying one ??

Reply to
ron h.

|| Hi all , || || Need some advice .......... IM considering buying a '96/'98 Range || Rover what would be the best choice ? || The 4.0 se or the 4.6 HSE ? I've noticed that there is not to much || difference in asking price ... || Is the 4.6 HSE the smoother car or is it all the same ?? || Furthermore I've noticed that (quite) some RR's (the4.6) have had || their engine changed around the 120K km is this common ? iow could || this be a problem ?? || || Please help TIA || || Ron || || p.s. some tips to give /give special attention when buying one ??

HSE has more toys and more power (mind you, at 2½ tonnes it needs it). I haven't driven a 4.0, but reports suggest it is a little underpowered, and the diesel even more so. I have heard it said that the 4.6 is slightly more prone to the cracked block/water loss problem than the 4.0/3.9/3.5, so if you go for one check this out first - any sign of oil in water, or water loss after a run, walk away. Service history is vital, and a decent warranty essential for peace of mind.

Having said that, I've had my 4.6 for a few months and a few 000 miles now, and I don't regret the decision one bit. It's a fantastic vehicle. A million miles better and more capable than the Td5 Disco that I had before.

Reply to
Richard Brookman