'98 Quest front pad replacement question.

Hi,

This weekend I'm planning to replace my wife's (98 Quest) van front disc pads. I have read several articles on the subject and feel confident. I have the tools needed but have a question.

The van has ABS, are there any precations when servicing the brakes on a car with ABS? I'm not planning to touch the ABS, just go in and replace the pads. I have a Maxima ('96) service manual that I plan to follow, but it does not mention ABS.

Thanks,

Reply to
Veeffer

I have read several

a question.

with ABS? I'm not

('96) service manual

Nothing special about changing pads on ABS systems.

Reply to
Jim

pads. I have read several

a question.

with ABS? I'm not

('96) service manual

Not unless you bleed them. Of course, if you have a '98, it might be time to think about a flush of the brake fluid. If you are good at it, you shouldn't affect the abs (pump and bleed one at a time, keep fluid in there at all times.).

FYI - the quest uses torx bolts (t40, IIRC) to hold the front calipers on. Don't forget the pad goo. You might want to get a shim kit from the dealer before you pull it apart and find out the shims are un-useable. Shim kits usually come with the goo.

Reply to
Bob

Thanks for the tip on the Torx bolts. I missed that one and have another tool to purchase. I will look into the shim kit. As for bleeding the brakes, I was planing to install SpeedBleeders and bleed the brakes after the pad replacement.

Thanks aga>>

pads. I have read several

have a question.

with ABS? I'm not

('96) service manual

Reply to
Veeffer

to purchase. I will

SpeedBleeders and

I don't have a '98, but of you reach up where the caliper bolts are and you find a rubber boot, that's them. Confused the heck out of me the first time I did them.

Reply to
Bob