Altima Spark Plug choice

Hi All-

I have a 99 Altima, and will be changing the plugs soon. In the manual it states to use the NGK FR5AP-10 plugs which are almost $10/each, but when I search on websites that sell nissan parts, they also recommend using other NGK plugs that are around $3.00/ea. What is the difference? Do I have to use the expensive stuff? For example the NGK BKR5E-11 NGK is $3.11 and the NGK FR8DCX are $1.11.

also, i'll be changing the coolant soon, do I have to buy the expensive nissan stuff or can I go with the prestone green stuff? The dealer parts dept said to go ahead with the prestone cuz this car doesn't require specialty coolant like hondas, toyotas, or bmws. what do you guys think? and will a 1 gallon jug (2 gallons when mixed w/ water) for a drain, flush with water, and refill?

thanks

Reply to
elmo

Get the 3.00 spark plug. They are copper instead of platinum, explaining the price difference, and work as good, maybe even better spark than plat from what I read, but they have to be replaced every 50000 km instead of 100000 km for the plats. As lonf as there are NGK you are fine.

For the antifreeze, check if the owners manual validates what the dealer told you. If so, get the prestone.

Good luck.

Reply to
Daniel